How to make drift wood safe?

1. Taritus

Taritus Valued Member Member

Hey y'all
    So when I was camping I found a nice piece of drift wood and I know my BN plecos would love it however I need to know if it's safe to put in and if not how to "cleanse" it
    All help appreciated thanks: )

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Wood from evergreen trees are generally far too acidic to add to an aquarium. Any other piece of wood needs to be dried and boiled before placing in the aquarium.

3. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Not sure what tree is from ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466744073.835381.jpg

4. MikeRad89

Definitely not spruce. Perfectly fine to add. Just boil it before putting it in to kill any fungal spores.

5. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Thanks and one more thing I believe it floats
    How do I make it sink

6. MikeRad89

Soak it for a while. Once it's water logged it'll sink. Its you don't want you wait you can tie it to a rock with fishing line.

7. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Tar...

The best wood is a piece that's been off the tree for several months. You don't have to boil the piece, in fact boiling softens the fibers and the piece will fall apart in the tank much sooner then if you simply rinse it well with the pressure nozzle attached to a garden hose and leave it out in the sun for a day or two. The rays of the sun will sterilize the wood. While you're out getting the driftwood, get some larger rocks too. These will help weigh the driftwood down in the tank and makes a more natural looking tank.

Have fun!

Old