How to Make Angelfish NOT Pair

MrFishkeeper1

This seems like an absurd question to many. Why not breed something and make a little bit of money? Well that's the thing I dont have any fishkeeping friends in my area, nor is there a fish club near me. So my question is: How can I keep a school of angelfish without them pairing and me having to sperate them?

FishBoy101

This seems like an absurd question to many. Why not breed something and make a little bit of money? Well that's the thing I dont have any fishkeeping friends in my area, nor is there a fish club near me. So my question is: How can I keep a school of angelfish without them pairing and me having to sperate them?
Just get one gender if you can. Other than that, I can't suggest anything else.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Just get one gender if you can. Other than that, I can't suggest anything else.
Agree

Upvote 0

PerfectSatyr683

Just get females because males will fight

Upvote 0

FinalFins

If you get all females you will still have pairs. Some females will get confused and pair up but they won't have fertile eggs. Also its almost impossible to sex angels at the age they usually are sold as. So the best chance is to get all males.

Upvote 0

faydout

If you get all females you will still have pairs.

Which means they'll still pick on tankmates to chase them away from their leaf. All males means what bickering there is, is dominance based, and is pretty much only between themselves.

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

So I would have to buy all adult males is what I'm getting? Is that correct?

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

Wait I was always informed you couldn't sex angelfish. I looked it up and you can?

Upvote 0

bizaliz3

What size tank? In my experience, when kept in a large enough group, they are discouraged from pairing up. But that requires a very large tank.

You are correct that sexing them is very hard to do without seeing a breeding tube. As most traits can be found in both genders. It can be very hard to find proven males or females. Especially a group of them. And they are more spendy as sexually mature adults.

A group of all males would definitely be better than all females. As stated, females will pair up and spawn and protect that spawn. Males tend to have less aggression when there are no females to compete for.

You could try a group of juveniles and just see what happens. If you end up with a breeding pair you can address it at that point. Remove eggs right away so there's no spawn to protect. Or find a buyer for a proven breeding pair.

Play it by ear really. I mean....angels are totally unpredictable. Some breeding pairs are nasty. Some aren't too bad. Some individuals could be Jerks for no reason at all. Regardless of gender. Its really just trial and error when keeping multiple angelfish. You have to be willing to rehome if you are going to attempt a somewhat peaceful angelfish school. You might get lucky and have it not come to that. But there's a good chance it will at some point.

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

What size tank? In my experience, when kept in a large enough group, they are discouraged from pairing up. But that requires a very large tank.

You are correct that sexing them is very hard to do without seeing a breeding tube. As most traits can be found in both genders. It can be very hard to find proven males or females. Especially a group of them. And they are more spendy as sexually mature adults.

A group of all males would definitely be better than all females. As stated, females will pair up and spawn and protect that spawn. Males tend to have less aggression when there are no females to compete for.

You could try a group of juveniles and just see what happens. If you end up with a breeding pair you can address it at that point. Remove eggs right away so there's no spawn to protect. Or find a buyer for a proven breeding pair.

Play it by ear really. I mean....angels are totally unpredictable. Some breeding pairs are nasty. Some aren't too bad. Some individuals could be Jerks for no reason at all. Regardless of gender. Its really just trial and error when keeping multiple angelfish. You have to be willing to rehome if you are going to attempt a somewhat peaceful angelfish school. You might get lucky and have it not come to that. But there's a good chance it will at some point.

Is a 75 gallon tank big enough?

Upvote 0

MrFishkeeper1

It depends on how many other fish you want.

Would it be better to have other fish or not?

Upvote 0

Cody

Also if it better to have fish I would probably do three stripe corys, otocinclus, and black phantom tetras (If algae gets bad possible a florida flagfish).
If you’re looking to have a school of angels with other fish you going to want to obviously think of bio load. But also the swimming space.
Something like cories, Otos or a pleco aren’t as much concern because they should be out of the angels way. And if you do a schooling fish like tetras of some variety keep it to one moderate sized school.

Think of it as every species will form its own pack and area. So if you try doing 3 different schools of tetras with 8 angelfish you may be setting yourself up for more conflicts then one school or having fish that tend to hangout in The bottom layers of the tank, like cories.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
  • Guppypuffercichlidnerd
  • Angelfish
Replies
Views
Guppypuffercichlidnerd