10 Gallon Tank How to make air pump less crazy

Lomein
In the past, I tried using an air pump with an airstone but it was so messy it would splash everywhere. The water splashed so hard it corroded the metal on my aquarium hood. Thankfully I managed to save it but I haven't tried it since. I'm starting my very first planted tank this week and have been thinking of using the pump again. Is there a way to reduce the intensity of the bubbles? Any way to make the pump quieter? Thanks in advance

SterSter
You could use an aquarium air valve to lower the bubble flow.

If you want to make it a bit more quieter you can plug the hole in the bottom (if there is one) with some cotton, tape, paper towel etc. There is also the option of dismantling the whole pump and putting dampeners in there but it can get complicated if you don’t know what you’re doing so I don’t think you want to do that.

Lomein
SterSter said:
You could use an aquarium air valve to lower the bubble flow.

If you want to make it a bit more quieter you can plug the hole in the bottom (if there is one) with some cotton, tape, paper towel etc. There is also the option of dismantling the whole pump and putting dampeners in there but it can get complicated if you don’t know what you’re doing so I don’t think you want to do that.
The pump I have goes outside the tank so the only hole is the small one that connects with a clear tube. I hope that makes sense. I will look into getting an air valve. I had no idea they existed. Thank you!

AggressiveAquatics
Yep a valve is the answer to your problems. I have them on all my tanks and they work very nicely. Another think I have is an air stone that creates small bubbles so they don’t splash everywhere

SterSter
Lomein said:
The pump I have goes outside the tank so the only hole is the small one that connects with a clear tube. I hope that makes sense. I will look into getting an air valve. I had no idea they existed. Thank you!
Yeah that makes sense hope it works out for you!

Sanderguy777
You might place the stone near a large plant that goes up to the top of the tank. It might help the bubbles make less of a mess.

However, while the water does make algae grow on lids, it won't corrode anything on modern tanks, since they are all plastic and glass. Unless you're using an old tank, or some oddball brand, there shouldn't be any metal to worry about.

Top Bottom