How to make a coconut hide.

FishPlanet

So, Lucy said that I could post about how to make a coconut hide, Plus java fern attached!

Supplies: coconut, spoon, something to poke holes in coconut, string, java fern, knife.

First, poke holes in the coconut and drain the juice. Use handle of knife to "hammer" around the coconut.
It should crack open within the next few minutes. Start scooping out the white stuff.

Then, you can sand around the outside until smooth.

Once you have done that, boil some water in a pan and place coconut halves in it. Keep repeating that until water boils clear.

Let cool. Weave string through the holes into one of the coconut halves and attach the java fern to it.

Set it in aquarium and enjoy!

Note: Some biofilm will form on the coconut halves so wash until clean.

Tell me if you made it! Have fun!

IMG_6757.JPG

CHJ

I run them on a wire wheel to clean off the remaining fiber.
Then I Dremel around the equator to avoid making extra holes, then pop out the tasty part and eat it.
After that I run a 1" hole saw through the side to make little brown igloos. A 1" hole is also easy for a spawning fish to defend.
Never considered sticking ferns to them. I guess I'd crazy glue them on.

Upvote 0

GuppyOverlord11

You should make some and sell them here. I might buy one, if it came with the fern.

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I run them on a wire wheel to clean off the remaining fiber.
Then I Dremel around the equator to avoid making extra holes, then pop out the tasty part and eat it.
After that I run a 1" hole saw through the side to make little brown igloos. A 1" hole is also easy for a spawning fish to defend.
Never considered sticking ferns to them. I guess I'd crazy glue them on.

I just like to tie them on because you can take them of and clean the coconut.
You should make some and sell them here. I might buy one, if it came with the fern.

I might just do that once I have some. :)

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Great project and walkthrough girl!

(Taught her everything she knows about coconut hides) I'm such a goof lol!!!

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

Pmed

Upvote 0

tsccxtaoci

Learn something new today

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question
Replies