How To Lower 8.0ppm Ammonia??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
i recently started a freshwater tank and I plan to plant it. After adding soil the ammonia spiked up to 8.0ppm. How do I lower the ammonia?? People say plants eat ammonia but I feel like it’s way too much to put plants in. All help is appreciated thank you!!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do a large wc before you plant it and plant it heavily from the begining. Also add some cheap floating plants to help suck up the ammonia.

You might still need to do a wc every few days until they get established.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most would won’t get you that high... possible something else I should going on as well...

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have heard that soil can spike your ammonia at first, so don't worry, I'm sure people with experience with dirted tanks can talk you through this!

Pearl Boba

Valued Member
Reaction score
What kind of soil would add that much ammonia?
I used ADA aquatic soil and apparently it’s known for large ammonia spikes..

Wait for your tank to cycle naturally then add fish. This is actually good, you won't have to add any ammonia to cycle the tank!
Should I just let the fliter run then? And for how long?

Do a large wc before you plant it and plant it heavily from the begining. Also add some cheap floating plants to help suck up the ammonia.

You might still need to do a wc every few days until they get established.
So I should take out the water, plant it heavily, fill it with water again and let it run? Will this burn the plants because I heard too much ammonia may burn them

Most would won’t get you that high... possible something else I should going on as well...
The soil I’m using is known for high ammonia spikes, it’s called ADA aquatic soil

I have heard that soil can spike your ammonia at first, so don't worry, I'm sure people with experience with dirted tanks can talk you through this!
Okay, thank you!

How often should I do this and for how long?

Last edited by a moderator:

shiv234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just get about 1 or 2 ppm of ammonia to cycle and try to keep it there....thats all. change 75% of the water to get it to 2ppm. cycles faster

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would keep it under 4. Temp of 80-82 will help cycle. Throw a little fish food in and adjust pH up to 7.8. These will all speed the cycle.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would keep it under 4. Temp of 80-82 will help cycle. Throw a little fish food in and adjust pH up to 7.8. These will all speed the cycle.
She is using ada aquasoil so its lowered the ph and leeching ammonia.

The less water in your tank the easier it os to plant but after you refill it Just try and keep it below 4 and the more plants the better

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a little fish food for some phosphates, but adding ferts will work also. You can use baking soda for cheap easy pH up, or you can use cuttlebone, crushed seashells in the filter, or buy seachem alkalinity buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom