How To Level Tank And Stand On Uneven Concrete Floor? Help

1. Hannahfish

Hannahfish Valued Member Member

Hello all, I am newly 18 and will be moving out of my parent's home in a month or so. I have a small basement studio apartment that has room for my aquariums and very strong floors (obviously), but the floor in some places is sloped and/or uneven. I do not have the space to put my aquariums only on the more level parts, and almost all of my stands have flat bottoms (aquatic fundamentals brand) so that the bottom of the stand will assume whatever shape the floor is and translate it directly to the tank. I am wondering if any of you have dealt with a similar problem and have some suggestions, I am hoping not to have to buy new stands as I do not currently have the funds. I may be able to build simple DIY stands if they are relatively inexpensive, so plans for those that do not have solid bottoms (think a 4 legged stand) would also be helpful if that is viable. I will have 4 tanks (downsizing from my current 6), a 75, 55, 40 breeder, and 36 bowfront. All suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Go to the hardware store and purchase a level. You will also need some sort of shim to go under the uneven part of the stand to get it to stand true.

(Think sticking a matchbook or wad of paper napkin under a wobbling table leg. Same concept.)

Depending on how severe the unevenness is you may be able to use the wood shims sold to level cabinets . Otherwise you may need to get creative.

3. Kevin Dennis

Kevin Dennis Valued Member Member

Composite shims that will not rot are cheap at home Depot. They are sold by the lumber isles.

Buy a level and slide a shim under each corner of the stand and adjust until the tank is level.