How to know when Pregnant Platies will give birth?

lc99

HI guys, I have two pregnant platies and yesterday I saw one fry swimming about in the tank so I put it in the hatchery that I had bought when I first found out that the fish were pregnant. Because I have two pregnant fish I am not sure which one gave birth to that fry, as they both still have the gravid spot and are still quite big. I moved the baby platy to another tank, and put one of the pregnant fish into the hatchery because I was hoping that it would give birth over night. I woke up this morning and there were no fry in the hatchery. Both the female platies still look pregnant and because one of them must have given birth to that fry, that fish must be having some more very soon. This morning I let the platy that I put in the hatchery out because it was getting too stressed. How will I know when the fish is going to give birth and how can I tell which fish gave birth to that 1 fry. Also does the gravid spot disappear after all the fry have been given birth to?

sophi

You won't be able to tell which platy gave birth to the fry, but usually when they're about to give birth, they will remain still and most likely hide somewhere or be near the heater. My platy gave birth the other day again and she actually was MIA somewhere in the piece of driftwood (it's practically a cave). Luckily, she swam back out and the next morning, I saw new babies and she was no longer looking like a fatty.

Those are just a few of the signs. They'll most likely try and hide, so keep an eye out if you notice they're missing.

lc99

Okay thank you! The two pregnant platies are both still moving around a lot and the fry is happy swimming around by itself in my other tank, what is your recommended time for keeping a fish in the hatchery? I have heard some people say a few hours and some people say a few days

sophi

I've never raised frys actually, they've survived in my tank since there's a bunch of hiding spots for them and they just grow up on their own. By hatchery, it's an actual tank? Or is it a breeder box/net?

If you want to raise them, you'll need to keep them separated from the adults until they're too big to fit inside the largest fish's mouth. If you're like me where you'd like to see them grow up, but won't be too heart broken if they get eaten, then you can put them back in the tank and see if they'll make it on their own. It's really up to you; if you want them 100% guaranteed alive, keep them in a cycled tank in warm temps and feed them crushed up flakes, pellets, or brine shrimp.

Good luck! It can be very cool to watch them grow from little bitty things to clones of their parents. I currently have 4 3 month old frys and just got around 6+ new frys, and that's all them surviving on their own; I haven't done a thing. My platys need birth control ;D

lc99

Thank you, a hatchery is like a floating container in the tank and the fry will fall to the bottom of the hatchery once born where the fry will be safe from the mother.

Do you think that the platies will give birth at night as that is what a lot of people think/say?

FishTank Maniacz

Personally with my livebearer fish there was no certain time. One was over night some were in the middle of the day and some have been in the morning.

lc99

Okay thankyou, they still haven't given birth yet

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lc99
  • Question
  • Jragan23
  • Platy
Replies
Views
WateryDreams