How to know when a tank is safe post disease?

NDFishes

Hello!

I am currently in the aftermath of a nasty disease that inflicted my 55 gallon tetra community tank. I lost about half the stock (out of the 45 various tetras, 25 died). I am not sure what the disease was—no symptoms except for two of the fish that developed some fungal like growths before dying. My guess would be an internal strain of columnaris but I really am not certain. I treated the tank with Erythromycin and have not seen deaths for about a week now. Carbon has been placed back in the filters to clear the meds.

Is there any sort of timeline that I can go by to know when the aquarium is safe again? For example, how do I know it is safe to use filter media from the diseased tank and place it into a new tank? Or how do I know it is safe to put new fish into the diseased tank to restock the lost fish?

Redshark1

Its not easy to be precise about when it is safe (even if I knew the details which I don't) but like many things it is a question of balance.

Ideally you want disease-free acclimatised fish in a stable and suitable environment without any stress.

Not all diseases are simple and only about stopping them being introduced. Some diseases (I mean disease-causing organisms) are present all the time and it is thought to be a matter of immune control that prevents them causing problems.

As in the human body organisms that live naturally on or within the fish can cause problems in certain situations, particularly when the immune system is suppressed by various stresses.

If you have had a situation where many fish died of disease then it would suggest to me that some things would need to change before it would be safe to repeat the fishkeeping efforts. This is something you need to figure out. Its not simply about time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Corycatz
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
donburi
Replies
Views