How to know if their is enough filtration

michaelsf90

Reaction score
How do i know if I have enough filtration. Its a 125L tank with a fluval u3 filter which is 600 litres an hour. I also have a small 300 litres an hour filter only with crushed coral in to buffer ph. Does this seem enough? Its well stocked with fish and well planted. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is below 5. I was thinking of upgrading to an external filter at some point but ive already invested so much money it seems crazy to upgrade now without getting my moneys worth out of that filter. The water is clear unless I use fertiliser. I'm adding a clean and clear pad to reduce phosphates which should clean the water up as well

Tristen

Reaction score
michaelsf90 said:
How do i know if I have enough filtration. Its a 125L tank with a fluval u3 filter which is 600 litres an hour. I also have a small 300 litres an hour filter only with crushed coral in to buffer ph. Does this seem enough? Its well stocked with fish and well planted. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is below 5. I was thinking of upgrading to an external filter at some point but ive already invested so much money it seems crazy to upgrade now without getting my moneys worth out of that filter. The water is clear unless I use fertiliser. I'm adding a clean and clear pad to reduce phosphates which should clean the water up as well
If your filter can turn over four times the amount of water in your tank in one hour then you should be fine with filtration

Tristen

Reaction score
michaelsf90 said:
So it's very easily covered with that filter
Yes there is more than enough. As long as you are also using good media you are perfect with what you have.

OP
michaelsf90

michaelsf90

Reaction score
I have biomax and two sponges either side. It originally had carbon but I was told this only polished the water. So I have a fine sponge and the sponge that come with the filter either side. The small 300 litres an hour filter just has a media bag of crushed coral in

AsleepInYorkshire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm assuming you're using Biohome Ultimate?

The recommendation for this media is 1kg to 100L so for a 125L you would need 1.25kg. That's for a normal bioload. If you have larger fish with higher bioloads then you should double that requirement.

This is for a U2 but it amounts to the same principals when using the U3

My daughters 70usg tank has a Fluval FX4 with 2.5kg's of Biohome Ultimate in it and the nitrates remain constant at 1ppm. We have tap water with 10ppm nitrate.

I'd also mention that the flow rate of a filter is measured when empty. So when you put filter media and foam into it the flow rate will slow.

AiYn'U

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
To answer your question michaelsf90 with my opinion.
You have enough biological filtration if you have only nitrates just before your weekly water change.
If you have ammonia or nitrites in the tank you do not have enough biological media / enough places for the bacteria to live.

You have enough chemical filtration ONLY if you feel the need to remove medication.

You have enough mechanical filtration if you don’t see solids FLOATING in the water. All filters only store solids for us to remove. Solids in a filter that we remove when we rinse a cartridge are no different from solids on the floor of the tank that we remove with a vacuum.

In short.
Chemical filtration is not necessary as a permanent thing in any aquarium.

You are the only mechanical filtration that any tank has.

biological filtration is the bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrates.

Adding more filters will not help your situation at all.
Adding another filter will mean you can feel a little more relaxed about how roughly you clean one filter as you have another undisturbed that is all.

More information on the nitrogen cycle.
We commonly think of nitrates as the last stage in the nitrogen cycle. It is possible BUT VERY RARE for a few people to have a fourth type of bacteria that consume nitrates and leave nitrogen as the final waste. In the past 6 inches of undisturbed gravel has been used. All ceramic media is potentially capable of be a home for this bacteria.

biohome ultimate is just one manufacturers name for their brand on ceramic media.
biomax is just another name for another brand of media.

Frank the Fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I once helped someone set up a tank. They had a filter that was the right size. Aquarium never cycled. Fish died. Turned out the filter was bypassing the media due to a quirk.

Even with high flow, the filter may be doing nothing more than moving water in circles!

The filter media is alive with your bacterial filter and all you need to know if it is enough is if your nitrogen cycle is stable.

I am still 'old school' and like undergravel filters since they give me more biological filter surface area.

The mechanical filter can't work unless you clean out the gook it collects.

One way to clean your gravel, is stir up the tank and let the dirty gravel get into the water. Next day clean out the filter. Repeat until your gravel is clean! Voila - you can clean your gravel without doing a water change!

New Threads