How to know if a male betta will breed?

ForBettaorForWorse

I'm planning on starting a betta breeding project in September, but I've already bought the first of my breeding males. I plan on buying at least two more, but I wanted to ask something... Is there a way to know if a male will breed? Also, would there be a reason to not buy a proven male who has bred in the past, and will likely breed again?
I want to know to help figure out what I'm looking for in a betta who would become a major part of my breeding project.

Demeter

Young adult males are your best bet. A young boy will be better able to keep up with maintaining a nest and catching all the fry that seem to constantly fall. IMO buying a proven breeder means nothing other than they've bred before (and could be a bit older). IME most males end up being good dads the first time and even better the next go around. A male that eats his brood more than once will almost always be an egg/fry eater and there's nothing to be done for him.

A healthy, well taken care of betta will breed or at least attempt to no matter what. The only things that could hinder spawning is the female being too large, either one being too old/young, or the pair being incompatible (one or the other too aggressive, not aggressive enough, or simply uninterested).

As a general rule, I'd not use a male that's much older than 1.5 years old. Ideally you want your breeders to be right around a 8-12 months old, in their prime so to speak.

e_watson09

In addition to above something that will greatly increase your chances of a successful breeding male is well conditioning him ahead of time. Great diet and water conditions lead to a healthy happy fish that is more likely to breed for ya!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
e_watson09
Replies
Views
Madeline Peterson
Replies
Views
Kysarkel000
Replies
Views