How To Kill Malaysian Trumpet Snail Infestation

Hannahfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all, I have an infestation of MTS in two of my tanks and I am about to move, so I thought now would be a good time to rid the tanks of the snails. I know many people find these snails useful, and while I agree I have not found them useful at all. I don't want to reduce them (pull them out, cucumber, snail trap etc..) and I don't want to add any fish or other animals (no loaches, puffers, assassin snails). I just want to kill them. The reason for their population being so high is unknown to me. One tank is a 55 with some rainbow fish and a few angels, fed once per day with as much as they can eat in 30 seconds, no leftovers (the rainbows make sure of that!). The other is a 29 gallon with 1 single adult angelfish, who of course barely eats anything comparatively. I do 50% waterchanges every single week. I do have live plants in both tanks, but they are all anubias which barely lose any leaves (like 1 leaf per month per tank overall). I have some driftwood in both tanks which the snails could be eating, but I definitely do not want to get rid of my 'scapes. The tanks are truly infested, look like they have more snail than gravel, walls are completely coated at night. I noticed also that my water quality was better before the snail explosion (they must have come on plants). Same fish, same everything, no snails, better water. They are also unsightly and I simply want to be rid of them. I am mainly looking for suggestions for effective ways to eradicate them. I am going to transfer all the fish out of the tanks into temporary bare-bottom tanks, and then sieve the sand to remove all the snails there. The snails I am worried about are the ones in the filters and on the plants, I want to make sure they are dead as well but I cannot dry out or boil my filters or plants. I am mostly looking for suggestions of chemical ways to kill the snails, and I am not worried about an ammonia spike as the vast majority of snails will have been eradicated when I move the substrate. Suggestions from anyone who has experience with safe (for fish), effective ways of killing these snails would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I am sorry for a long post, and I don't want to sound snobby and specific in rejecting alternatives to killing them. I have tried reducing them, and I have decided that I do not want to deal with them anymore as I believe them to be detrimental at this point. The post is so long because I have seen where other people have asked similar questions on other forums and either been told not to kill the snails, they must be overfeeding, why would you get rid of beneficial snails etc. I just wanted to narrow down the responses and be clear that I want to eliminate them. Thanks for reading my absurdly long post!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Depending on your stocking, I know a relarively cheap chemical that may work.
Before that I want to mention two things:
Killing all the snails will cause a massive ammonia spike, enough to kill everything else if you're not careful. Try to get as many as possible out before hand.
Secondly, you could make a decent amount of money off of them. Since you have to pull out as many as you can anyway, you can sell them for 40-50¢ a piece on aquabid. 50 normally sell for $22-28, and you can give them away on here, or sell them, lots of people want them.

Now, depending on your stocking... If there are any snails you want to keep alive, don't use it. Some fish may be sensitive to it, I don't really know.
Fenbendazole, often sold under Panacur C, is an effective method of getting rid of Hydra and planaria, but also kills any snails in the tank.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all, I have an infestation of MTS in two of my tanks and I am about to move, so I thought now would be a good time to rid the tanks of the snails. I know many people find these snails useful, and while I agree I have not found them useful at all. I don't want to reduce them (pull them out, cucumber, snail trap etc..) and I don't want to add any fish or other animals (no loaches, puffers, assassin snails). I just want to kill them. The reason for their population being so high is unknown to me. One tank is a 55 with some rainbow fish and a few angels, fed once per day with as much as they can eat in 30 seconds, no leftovers (the rainbows make sure of that!). The other is a 29 gallon with 1 single adult angelfish, who of course barely eats anything comparatively. I do 50% waterchanges every single week. I do have live plants in both tanks, but they are all anubias which barely lose any leaves (like 1 leaf per month per tank overall). I have some driftwood in both tanks which the snails could be eating, but I definitely do not want to get rid of my 'scapes. The tanks are truly infested, look like they have more snail than gravel, walls are completely coated at night. I noticed also that my water quality was better before the snail explosion (they must have come on plants). Same fish, same everything, no snails, better water. They are also unsightly and I simply want to be rid of them. I am mainly looking for suggestions for effective ways to eradicate them. I am going to transfer all the fish out of the tanks into temporary bare-bottom tanks, and then sieve the sand to remove all the snails there. The snails I am worried about are the ones in the filters and on the plants, I want to make sure they are dead as well but I cannot dry out or boil my filters or plants. I am mostly looking for suggestions of chemical ways to kill the snails, and I am not worried about an ammonia spike as the vast majority of snails will have been eradicated when I move the substrate. Suggestions from anyone who has experience with safe (for fish), effective ways of killing these snails would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I am sorry for a long post, and I don't want to sound snobby and specific in rejecting alternatives to killing them. I have tried reducing them, and I have decided that I do not want to deal with them anymore as I believe them to be detrimental at this point. The post is so long because I have seen where other people have asked similar questions on other forums and either been told not to kill the snails, they must be overfeeding, why would you get rid of beneficial snails etc. I just wanted to narrow down the responses and be clear that I want to eliminate them. Thanks for reading my absurdly long post!
There is NOTHING to kill the snails that won't harm the fish too and eradicate your biological filtration. You can take out the fish, the plants, and filter and kill the snails with a cup of bleach poured into the tank and mixed in with the water well and wait 20 minutes and then overhaul the tank. Bleach rinces out very easily and any tiny leftover chlorine would be taken care of by your water conditioner. But then you have to remove the snails manually from you plants, filter, and decor. Snails are never beneficial. Everything that eats...poops. snails make as much algea as they eat because they create ammonia that is eventually nitrates which is algea food. They have to use up the same oxygen your fish need too. Good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom