How to keep wood from warping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atmmachine816, Apr 18, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

My grandma had some scrap pieces of wood and I picked up a nice piece of treated wood that I would like to make a cover with for my 10 gallon, here are my two questions.

Is treated wood bad to use?
    How can I keep it from eventually warping? Wood aquarium silicon work if I spread a thin layer over it?

Thanks

Austin

2. vinWell Known MemberMember

Wood is very difficult to keep from warlping as it absorbs moisture naturally. Unless it is marine grade lumber, I would not recommend using it.

Also, by treated I assume you mean "pressure treated". Unless it is of the new grade of pressure treated wood, I would stay far away from using that anywhere near my tank. The older pressure treated woods contain compounds that include arsenic. When the wood absorbs moisture and that moisture begins to leach out of the wood, it will leach arsenic into your tank water.

The newer grade of pressure treated wood contains copper sulphate which is not as toxic as arsenic, but even with that, it will warp over time when exposed to moisture and still leach chemicals into your tank.

As mentioned, marine grade lumber might be the way to go around your fish tank. It won't warp as much if at all. You'd have to call around for it though as I do not believe that the local Home Depot or Lowes would carry it.

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Then I guess I'm stuck with a normal hood or a versa top. Thanks

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

:-\ Sorry dude.....Didn't mean to crush your hopes.....

5. JasonWell Known MemberMember

I dont know about that but my stand is wood and I had to stain and vanish it with marine-grade vanish. Looks, good and keeps the wood fom warping. the vanish costs about $20.

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

A stand is one thing, and a hood is another......Marine grade varnish will help, but I personally wouldn't put anything pressure treated over my tanks just because of the chemical content. Why take the chance?

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Heres a very nice plan for an aquarium hood. If you have any questions I'm sure you could pm the writer of the article.

Carol

8. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't pay twenty dollars for a varnish, might as well just buy a hood. Thanks for the article butterfly but I think I'll just buy a hood. I'm having problems though why some hoods don't have a glass cover and they only have a plastic cover over the screw part like the minibowl tanks do, why they have that, is that enough to protect the bulb socket from condensation ???

Austin

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can buy hoods and tanks with an "oak" trim. It uses brown plastic instead of black and had stuff stuck on it that is printed like wood. Little more expensive though.

10. JasonWell Known MemberMember

$20Australian dont know what they sell it for in your country its probably a fair bit cheaper

11. vinWell Known MemberMember

Nope. Marine varnish isn't cheap in the states either......

12. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

For 22$ I can get a hood and 10 gallon tank but have to replace the incidescent bulbs with fluescent but I only need to replace one since I have one so it would be cheaper.