How to keep water wisteria grounded

BlackOsprey

I've never had trouble keeping water wisteria alive, just not in the shape I'd prefer. It has a tendency to grow up tall before roots start growing out of the middle, the lower half decays, and the upper half ends up detaching and turning into a floating plant.

How can I prevent this from happening? This tends to happen in tanks with no CO2 and medium low to medium high light. I don't regularly dose ferts because I have aquasoil, but I'll sometimes supplement with easy green or a Thrive root tab. Aside from the midway decay, the plant doesn't look unusual and shows no signs of deficiencies.

awilkinson871

I have had similar problems. I tend to push it as far into my sand as I can without bending or snapping the stem. Sometimes I place small rocks around the stem to keep it from floating until it roots itself. The cories like to move them sometimes anyway.

lojack

I’ve had this happen before with water wisteria. It started happening out of no where and then just randomly stopped. I don’t recall having changed my routine at the time. It will be interesting to see what others say.

Mudminnow

I use water wisteria all the time, and I've never seen this happen. I usually grow mine in high tech, high light tanks with soil. Perhaps that's the difference?

Fisch

Yes, I have the same problem. When I push the stem into the substrate, it just disintegrates. Now I wrap a plant weight around the lower part of the stem, it takes some time and the roots will grow into the soil. I then remove the weight. When the plant gets to gangly, I just cut it off and repeat the process. It is slow going, but slowly it seems to fill in and get a bit more bushy.

BlackOsprey

I use water wisteria all the time, and I've never seen this happen. I usually grow mine in high tech, high light tanks with soil. Perhaps that's the difference?
Yeah, I'd guess this was the result of the plant being unhappy for whatever reason, literally uprooting itself to float off to greener pastures. I just wasn't sure if it was because nutrients, light, or both equally.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
lojack
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
  • Question
Replies