How to keep syphon hoses from getting mildew or mold in them

Grace4514

Reaction score
The one I worry most about is my 20 foot hose I made to hook to my bathroom sink upstairs. But there's no where to hang that long of a hose to let it drain. Even my small one I use to do water changes gets moldy even though I leave it hung up it never drains out enough apparently. I don't think it would hurt if the small one gets moldy because it's taking water out, but I know I don't want the new water going through a moldy hose and into the tank. Any ideas would be great:)

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A little mildew isn’t a big deal. Do you have city or well water? I have city, and I just rinse my house out after each use and drape it over the shower curtain bar to dry for a day or two and it’s stayed mild free. Probably due in part to the chemicals in my water

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To drain longer hoses, I use the shower curtain rod in the bathroom to pull the hose over. That keeps it elevated and as you pull the hose over, it'll drain out into the tub. Then I just let it dry, I've never had an issue with molding or mildew in my hoses.

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's a short length hose drape it to dry if it's like a 50 ft python you just can't unless you went to lengths to blow it out dry with like an air compressor but I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
Grace4514

Grace4514

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
A little mildew isn’t a big deal. Do you have city or well water? I have city, and I just rinse my house out after each use and drape it over the shower curtain bar to dry for a day or two and it’s stayed mild free. Probably due in part to the chemicals in my water
City here. But I can't do that with the other one it's like 30ft long after I measured it lol

OP
Grace4514

Grace4514

Reaction score
I do even with my 6 ft one and I leave it hung up until I use it again I don't understand why it always get mold or mildew in itt

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
household bleach followed by a very good rinse and some dechlorinaror - but then our 2m clear hose + 10m garden hose is only used to siphon water out. We only treat the clear hose - algae needs light as well as water.

OP
Grace4514

Grace4514

Reaction score
It's not the algae its mold or mildew that's the issue but I'll try doing that thank you:)

New Threads