How to keep store water from getting in my aquarium

1. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

This is easy to do with fish, since i just gently scoop them with my hand to transfer after acclimation. But shrimp.... They are quick, tiny, and definitely hard to net out of the small bag the store sends them home in.

Last time i just dumped the bag into a large net but i almost lost a shrimp down the sink drain so are there better ways to get shrimp in the aquarium without getting store tank water mixed in? If this is the way to do it then next time i will plug the drain in case i have another jumper lol.

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I like to use large cup or bowl and pour off excess water into either the sink or another bowl.

3. danascully Initiate Member

I stop the sink up, cut a small hole in the bottom of the fish bag, and then slowly drain the water out through a net, positioned over the sink. Has worked so far and no losses!

4. Lucky Guppy Member Member

You could use a bowl and let half of the net stay submerge in water so when the shrimp are poured in they wont want to jump cause they'll be in water, then when they're all in cover the top of net with your hands and transfer to tank :)

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I'm actually getting more shrimp soon because I'm down to 2 shrimp. And I'm not sure if i have a M/F pair or 2 females.

Thanks