How to keep pH hi permanently

indrpd

HI I raise kois and the water ph always go down after it has been added to the aquarium.
Straight from the tap it's 7. After 1 day or 2 in the aquarium it becomes 6.2.  In koI books they recommend ph between 6.8-8.2.  Ideal is 7.5.

I am looking for a way to keep pH higher in longer lasting time.  What factors will make pH go up?

sirdarksol

You can try Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate.
It maintains higher water pH without constantly adding pH Up (bad idea anyway, because pH Up just spikes pH, stressing the fish).
Do you have lots of plants? Do you have driftwood? Are you forgetting to vacuum the gravel?
If you answered yes to any of these, they could be dropping your pH, as they all can produce acids.
Out of curiosity, how many koI do you have in what size tank? I'm with you in being one of the few who keep koI indoors. (well, one koi, at least)

simpleton

You may want to try to add some aquarium salt. I read where that will help keep the pH up. Can anyone back me on this? I use it in my tank after every water change(about 3 tablespoons for my 30 gallon tank) to help reduce stress but I have naturally high pH (above 8). Having the naturally high pH doesn't give me oppty to see if it really helps keep the pH higher.

indrpd

simpleton said:
You may want to try to add some aquarium salt.  I read where that will help keep the pH up.  Can anyone back me on this?  I use it in my tank after every water change(about 3 tablespoons for my 30 gallon tank) to help reduce stress but I have naturally high pH (above 8).  Having the naturally high pH doesn't give me oppty to see if it really helps keep the pH higher.
I also add sea salt( 1 cup for 45USGallon) but it makes no difference in pH level.

indrpd

sirdarksol said:
You can try Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate.
It maintains higher water pH without constantly adding pH Up (bad idea anyway, because pH Up just spikes pH, stressing the fish).
Do you have lots of plants? Do you have driftwood? Are you forgetting to vacuum the gravel?
If you answered yes to any of these, they could be dropping your pH, as they all can produce acids.
Out of curiosity, how many koI do you have in what size tank? I'm with you in being one of the few who keep koI indoors. (well, one koi, at least)
I have also heard that the professionnal koI breeder in Japan use sea shells to keep the pH higher. But I don't know what sea shell or if they put it in the filter or not.
For you information, I have very nice kois in a 45 USgallon indoor pond. 4 babies of 5" & 2 of 9".
There are 2 big bundles of hornwort plants in the pond but I don't provide any lighting to the plants and the sun are are in my area.

What koI do you keep?

sirdarksol

I have a single platinum koI that has at least a little butterfly in his blood.
The stuff that people use to raise pH for cichlids is shells, and it's just in the substrate. I'm not sure if that's how the koI breeders do it, but I don't think it really matters.

Butterfly

The koI will adjust to the Ph from your tap if slowly acclimated. If your set on raising it, limestone(like texas holey rock) will raise it as well as the Cichlid sand by carib sea.
Carol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom