How To Keep My Hungry Betta From Not Overeating Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SilverLoachRam, Jul 14, 2019.

1. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

Hi all! First off, I wasn't sure where to put this thread because it's not an emergency but it is a question I need help with.

So, I have a 20 gallon tank with 10 cory cats (4 paleatus 3 bandit 3 long fin panda), a very small 1.5 inch albino bristlenose and my black crowntail betta. The problem I have is I'm going out of town and when I feed my betta I have to isolate him because he is a little pig and will eat way to much food. I was using a fry net to hold him while he was eating but since than I've had to switch to a Gatorade bottle with a suction cup that was formally an egg tumbler I made to keep him in while feeding. Now I trust the person I have coming over every other night to feed the fish but I dont trust them enough to sit there and let my betta swim in after he realizes it's time to eat.

Any suggestions on what I could do? I have an upcycled 2.5 gallon but that's much to small and I feel is a recipe for disaster from ammonia spikes.

Thanks all, SilverLoachRam

2. MananValued MemberMember

What do you feed him? Maybe try flakes instead of pellets if that's what you are doing right now? Do you have a filter for the 2.5? For a week if your fish-sitter changes the water regularly it should be fine...

3. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

I feed him Hikari Betta Biogold (pellets) cand the Cory's and pleco get Hikari micropellets. I do have a filter on the 2.5 but the sitter is a neighbor who was weary to even touch fish food without gloves on and theres no way I trust her enough to do a water change on any of my tanks.

4. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Hello. How long are you going to be out of town? Most fish can go about 2 weeks without food (especially if they are fed very well in the week or so leading up to it) so if your not going to be gone a long time, i just wouldn't feed them at all. It doesn't matter the type of food, overeating is overeating. If you don't trust a sitter to feed the betta seperately, i feel like they would be better off not eating at all.

5. Zka17Valued MemberMember

Exactly! Do not feed the fish while you're gone. Feed them well the day before you leave, then do a water change on the day you leave. A little starving will do good for them.

6. SilverLoachRamNew MemberMember

I'll be gone for 8 days 7 nights, so that should be fine to leave them all with no food that long?

7. IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

That's what i would do. Feed them good the couple days before you leave, and do a big water change either the day of or the night before, and they should be just fine when you get back.

8. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

they will be fine not too feed them for that long! but for longer periods, a tank divider might be an otption.
    Good luck, I love to see bettas in community tanks!

9. imbaWell Known MemberMember

I agree with not feeding too, I've left my tanks for longer periods than that without feeding. Typically, more might go wrong if someone who is not a fish person takes over. Anything less than 14 days is fine.