How To Keep My Freshwater Tank Clear

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Courtney_x14, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Courtney_x14Valued MemberMember

I have been doing 20-30% water change daily and been cleaning filter but my water seems to always be cloudy. What can I do to fix this?

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

Can we get ur parameters? Cloudy water usually points 2 a bacterial bloom.

3. BHK3

BHK3Well Known MemberMember

Can you share a photo of you tank? Also, a few questions that would help us tonhelp you?
    How big is your tank?
    How long has it been establish?
    What do you have in your tank?
    What's your lighting schedule?

4. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

Cleaning the filter? How? If you wash it in anything other than old tank water, you might be washing away BB and these are small cycles building them back up.

5. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Is your cloudy water white or grey?

White = Bacteria bloom (Your tank is cycling). This is caused if you were to take a filter and run it under tap water, you essentially kill your BB. You may need to wait a few days and do some water changes and check your water parameters. Check your fish for any problems.

Grey = Dirty tank. Which means your filter needs more mechanical media to clean. Sponges or a whole stuffing of poly-fil (Stuff that teddy bears are stuff with), aka filter floss, will help clean the dirt from the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice