How To Keep Killifish?

1. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Anybody a kili keeper if so i need some advice

What size tank (is 5 okay for just one or two)

Easy to keep?

Foods?

Water?

thanks CB

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

wow those are cool looking fish!!!!! I hope some members can offer advice

3. OP
    OP
    Chris123

Yeah I know hopefully theres a person here who keeps em

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of killi? Makes a world of difference.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I've had a few different sorts of killies over the years but not that specific one. Behaviour varies widely amonst the different species but in general they are a mostly peacefull fish that will often squable with thier own kind. Especially two males. They will usually hang around the surface of your tank & glass lids are mandatory as these fish are all jumpers. Most of them will happily accept tropical flake, freeze dried bloodworm & freeze dried mysis shrimp. Frozen brine shrimp & daphnia are also accepted with great relish. Water parameters are not usually super important though there are a few that have strict demands on it's composition. PH aorund neutral with a GH of 6-12 is usually ok. All the ones I have kept prefer an unheated tank but where I live is fairly warm. Temps are usually between 18-26c.

I know that is a bit broad but I hope it helps a little bit at least.

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it helps me ;D LOL
    id love some of these fin babies!

7. OP
    OP
    Chris123

Thanks man!
    I really apriciate all the info :)

8. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't keep killies with anything they can fit into thier mouths. 90% of them are active predators & will munch on anything they can get in thier huge mouths. I've watched a 6cm Gold Panchax eat a 4cm cardinal!! Shrimp are a definite no no as are neons. Even with killies as small as 6cms. Live insects like small grasshopers make excellent live food for them.