how to keep fish healthy in small tank 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cyclops, Apr 21, 2010.

1. cyclopsNew MemberMember

i HAVE A 20 GALLON TANK WITH 2 BLOOD PARROTS. i WANT TO KEEP THEM SMALL AND HEALTHY TOO BECAUSE OF THE SMALL TANK THERE IS LITTLE ROOM FOR THEM. ANYONE KNOW HOW? ARE THERE SECRETS TO KEEPING THEM SMALL AND HEALTHY? OR ARE THEY DOOMED TO DIE? ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED. BY THE WAY THERE ARE 4 TETRAS AND A ALGAE EATER TOO ALONG WITH A JUVENILE SAILFIN MOLLY.

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore. :)

When you say you want to keep them small, that's a bad thing. It's called stunting.

Your tank is crazily overstocked. Is a bigger tank a possibility, or are you able to rehome most of your fish?

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The secret to keeping fish small is to buy fish that stay small.....

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I agree.

What kind of algae eater?

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Cyclops and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I highly suggest that you either return the Bloody Parrots from where they came or either invest in at least a 55 gallon aquarium. My largest Bloody Parrot at the moment is 9x6.5 inches. If your fish are stunted by being in a home that is too small it will never live out its full life span. There is no humane way to keep a fish that is meant to grow large, small. By doing so may even cause spine curvature.

I wish I had better news for you.

Ken

Please do not use all caps when typing. It's considered yelling to some folks and it's very difficult for some members to read.
    Thanks!

6. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!!
    GREAT advice from others....I hope also you reconsider and return the parrot fish and get small community fish :)

or check out   in your area and get a much larger tank very soon :)

good luck!

7. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

I'd advise like others mentioned to get community fish. They're very lively and stay at a small size. You could try a school of tetras if you can't afford to get a bigger tank?

Best of luck! :;hf

8. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

:sign0016: to FishLore

You may not know these people very well since you're new to this site but they are very experienced and very knowledgeable and I hope you take their advice ;)

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Cyclops,

If you'll click on my name and go to my profile, I have a video there and a bunch of photos of my Bloody Parrots if you care to take a peek.

Ken

10. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) Welcome to FishLore!!

11. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum.

Basically, as stated above, your BPs need a lot more room than you have for them. It would be cruel to try to keep them in such a small tank. They would certainly die a miserable death.

Fishkeeping is really about trying to stay within limits. If you have a small tank, and you know that's all you can afford, or have the room for, then you really need to comply and only get fish that can not only survive, but thrive, in a smaller tank. It's not about what we want, it's about what the fish need.

12. LucyModeratorModerator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice