20 Gallon Tank how to keep fish healthy in small tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i HAVE A 20 GALLON TANK WITH 2 BLOOD PARROTS. i WANT TO KEEP THEM SMALL AND HEALTHY TOO BECAUSE OF THE SMALL TANK THERE IS LITTLE ROOM FOR THEM. ANYONE KNOW HOW? ARE THERE SECRETS TO KEEPING THEM SMALL AND HEALTHY? OR ARE THEY DOOMED TO DIE? ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED. BY THE WAY THERE ARE 4 TETRAS AND A ALGAE EATER TOO ALONG WITH A JUVENILE SAILFIN MOLLY.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore.

When you say you want to keep them small, that's a bad thing. It's called stunting.

Your tank is crazily overstocked. Is a bigger tank a possibility, or are you able to rehome most of your fish?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Cyclops and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I highly suggest that you either return the Bloody Parrots from where they came or either invest in at least a 55 gallon aquarium. My largest Bloody Parrot at the moment is 9x6.5 inches. If your fish are stunted by being in a home that is too small it will never live out its full life span. There is no humane way to keep a fish that is meant to grow large, small. By doing so may even cause spine curvature.

I wish I had better news for you.

Ken

Please do not use all caps when typing. It's considered yelling to some folks and it's very difficult for some members to read.
Thanks!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!!
GREAT advice from others....I hope also you reconsider and return the parrot fish and get small community fish

or check out www.craigslist.org in your area and get a much larger tank very soon

good luck!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'd advise like others mentioned to get community fish. They're very lively and stay at a small size. You could try a school of tetras if you can't afford to get a bigger tank?

Best of luck!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
to FishLore

You may not know these people very well since you're new to this site but they are very experienced and very knowledgeable and I hope you take their advice

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cyclops,

If you'll click on my name and go to my profile, I have a video there and a bunch of photos of my Bloody Parrots if you care to take a peek.

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i WANT TO KEEP THEM SMALL AND HEALTHY TOO BECAUSE OF THE SMALL TANK THERE IS LITTLE ROOM FOR THEM.
Welcome to the forum.

Basically, as stated above, your BPs need a lot more room than you have for them. It would be cruel to try to keep them in such a small tank. They would certainly die a miserable death.

Fishkeeping is really about trying to stay within limits. If you have a small tank, and you know that's all you can afford, or have the room for, then you really need to comply and only get fish that can not only survive, but thrive, in a smaller tank. It's not about what we want, it's about what the fish need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom