How To Keep Fish Eggs Safe?

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is the first time I've had fish eggs in my aquarium as its the first time I've kept a group. I moved my Japanese medaka eggs into my invertebrate only aquarium and tried to make sure they were carefully secured within the plant leaves. However, the snails in the tank seem to keep knocking the eggs off the plants so they fall to the gravel. I've seen one of the ramshorns climbing over an egg (I think it was cleaning the outside but it was eating something). I'm concerned the snails could damage the eggs or the ones that are knocked on to the floor are at greater risk of disease and the water will be lower in oxygen. Where is the best place to keep them safe? I have a breeder box but its huge compared to the aquarium so would be awkward to use. I also have small plastic pots I could float on the water's surface and do 50% water changes daily. Or will they be ok in the aquarium even if they get knocked on to the floor? I can see eyes now in some of the eggs so I think those will be hatching in a few days.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have hatched many eggs in dip and pours with an air stone and daily water changes ..
Using a small floating container should be no problem .
Snails are an eggs enemy I believe ?

Reactions: LMO

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Small floating container should work. If you believe that anything in the tank may harm the eggs, I'd separate the eggs.

Reactions: LMO

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both for your help. It will be easier to monitor them in a floating container and do water changes so that would be great. But I just checked the container and found 2 snails had climbed there way in. They don't seem to be damaging the eggs and perhaps they may be eating things that start to grow on the outside so may even be beneficial? But they left snail droppings all over the container - having to use a pipette to remove. Maybe it's just because it's something new and they are exploring? For water changes can I use tank water or does it need to be conditioned tap water - would be very difficult to dose such small amounts with prime.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 8 66.7%

Top Bottom