How to keep fish away from spot treatment?

SpeedyFish

Hello all,

After dealing with and pretty much eliminating majority of the hair algae that infested my tank I'm planning on doing some spot treatment to get rid of the last stubborn hair algae. I got 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide I will dilute before doing the spot treatment. My concern is the fish and shrimp will see the bubbles and play in the area dosed with hydrogen peroxide. Will the hydrogen peroxide affect them, and if so what's the best method of keeping the fish away from the area?

FishDin

The fish will avoid it if it bothers them.

Any danger will probably depend on the concentration you use. At 3%, which is what I used, the fish didn't seem to care. Also, at 3%, it killed the algae just fine.

SparkyJones

the recommended is 3% for aquarium use. what you are using is 11.67x stronger dosage, with everything, and 3% hydrogen peroxide, it's diluted. 35% is far less diluted. that 35% will also dilute in your water. 3% is 30,000 PPM for the concentration. which dilutes to the tank volume. 35% it's like 350,000 ppm diluting to the aquarium.

Just saying keep all this in mind, you might want to dilute it down to more like 3.5% before adding so it's a bit "extra strength" without the overkill.

SpeedyFish

the recommended is 3% for aquarium use. what you are using is 11.67x stronger dosage, with everything, and 3% hydrogen peroxide, it's diluted. 35% is far less diluted. that 35% will also dilute in your water. 3% is 30,000 PPM for the concentration. which dilutes to the tank volume. 35% it's like 350,000 ppm diluting to the aquarium.

Just saying keep all this in mind, you might want to dilute it down to more like 3.5% before adding so it's a bit "extra strength" without the overkill.
Is 3% really strong enough to kill hair algae? I bought some from CVS and the last time I tried 3% I didn't have much luck with spot treatment. I did everything from turning off the flow and other stuff. Not sure If I made the mistake of keeping the lights on while doing the spot treatment.

SpeedyFish

Update.

To play it safe because I'm using 35%, I decided to take the worst affected plants out and put them in the bucket. I diluted it to about 6% and tried doing the spot treatment. After about 15 minutes I didn't see any bubbles. Not sure if it was working, poured a little on my sponge and got a lot of bubbles immediately.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm supposed to see some kind of oxidation, but I'm not. :confused:

Flyfisha

I have used 3% H2O2 to kill black beard algae. Both spot treatment in the tank under water with a hypodermic syringe and as a spray on potted plants with a spray bottle. I have used 6% on one occasion and killed plants.

When squirting under water you don’t see anything until the next day when the black beard changes colour. When spraying potted plants you have to wash them in water within a minute or so.

I have never used it on hair algae. Don’t know if it works? Following.

I have used this chemical product with the active ingredient Diuran . It kills algae but unless to fix the reason you got the algae in the first place it just happens again.

58083FF8-D359-435C-99E8-397A8B53D2DA.png

SpeedyFish

after the 24 hour treatment I've noticed the hair algae turned red. Hopefully that's a good sign the algae is dying.

For the other plants in the tank I can't remove I will reduce the 35% to 3% or 6%.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views