How To Keep Bettas In Small Tanks

Keeping a betta in a one gallon the right way.

1. goplecos Well Known Member Member

goplecos submitted a new resource:

How to keep Bettas in small tanks - Keeping a betta in a one gallon the right way.

Read more about this resource...

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You said in your response to my review that Petsmart carries these "appropriate" 1 gallon tanks. Please post links to these tanks because mine certainly does not. Also please post approximate dimensions of your idea of a suitable 1 gallon tank.

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

this one come with a divider, but you don't have to use it. I will edit this but when I say long and low I mean something that gives appropriate swimming space. I don't care how high it is.

Top FinĀ® 1 Gallon Liquidy Split Aquarium | fish Starter Kits | PetSmart

4. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Here is a link to a 1g I have. Comes with a filter. Given, I use it as a hospital tank/temporary tank during week-long aquascape enterprises of the main 5g tanks.

Edit: prepare for a long post after this.

5. bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Got a link for the adjustable Aqueon 10-watt heater?

The only Aqueon 10-watt heaters I've seen are the ones that are preset and always on.

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

really that's odd. I have one that's adjustable but it's really old

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

That's the same one I have and the dimensions are OK

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That is not what I would call an appropriate tank. It's not long and low, rather it's about the same dimension in both length and height, about 8 inches. Nowhere near enough for a healthy betta to swim. I would use that as a quarantine or shrimp tank but nothing else.

Mr. Aqua makes some lovely small tanks but since they're non-standard they are much more expensive than the ones aimed at kids. Here's a 1.5 gallon bookshelf tank. A bit on the small side but not bad at all if you're determined to cram your fish into the smallest volume possible: Amazon.com : Mr. Aqua Personal Mini Bookshelf Aquarium Tank Set : Nano Tank : Pet Supplies

For less than 1/4 of the price you can get a 2.5 gallon tank with similar footprint and for even less you can get a standard 5 gallon with even more swimming room!

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Again, I am going to ask you if you have kept a Betta in a tank like that. Mine was downsized to that tank, and have noticed no change in his behavior whatsoever.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes I have. New ones and sick ones in quarantine, and kept numerous bettas in anything up to 50 gallons, with and without tankmates. The larger the tank, the more room for plants and decor, the more active and "natural" the betta in my experience.

Now I have to ask, what did you downsize from?

11. goplecos Well Known Member Member

A 10 gallon.

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Why did you downsize him? Did you keep decor in with him? You do know that the behaviour of a single betta is not scientific proof that all of them will behave the same way, right?

13. Prism Well Known Member Member

You shouldn't keep a betta in a 1g, I would recommend 2.5g+ mainly I would do 5g+ so the betta has more room to swim, I would never say to keep a betta that small.

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I needed room for a 29 gallon community. He still has a cave and some live plants. I have kept 2 other bettas in one gallons that lived to over 5 years. And I would like you to look at the first paragraph of my article.

15. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Have you ever kept a Betta in a one gallon?

16. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I would, in the original guide, include a caveat that tells the reader that 1 gallon is not ideal. That 2.5 to 10 gallons is probably more appropriate. This is widely known from countless experiences over the years.

Also, since it's a guide to proper fishkeeping, it needs to include tons more information, about temperature, feeding, decorations, current, etc..

I'm not sure such a resource is needed, as the betta forum already has a pretty comprehensive care guide. Adding this guide could conceivably be seen as an attempt to justify keeping a betta in such a small set up. I think most people who keep bettas in such a small tank are simply unaware of the potential problems of such a set up, not people who are being insistent on anything.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, I read the WHOLE article, first paragraph included.

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Exactly.

19. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Then you will notice that I said that this is just my experience. Though it has worked out on 3 occasions.

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

We are trying to discourage people from using the tiny containers marketed as tanks, not give them excuses why it's ok. As I said, it can work, but it's not good to encourage it without a lot of warnings for all the times it's not appropriate. Newcomers are going to see it as permission to do it.