How to keep a sorority happy

1. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Many people say it's not okay to have beta's together. People also say when you put beta's together; they will start to fight immediately, and they will kill each other. Well, I am here to tell you that this isn't always the case. You can keep female beta's together and maintain the peacefully (the tank NEEDS to be cycled). You can also put a male or female in a community tank, and there can be peace depending on what fish there are in their and many other things. Keeping beta's together(females) can be possible. There are things and considerations to achieve this goal. First, you should have at least a 20gal long. A 20gal long will provide them to swim and have space. You will need to have more hiding spots than usual. The reason is that they need hiding places if one of the betas get mad and go on a rampage. (6 or more is recommended) Next, your temperature should be around 80, but I keep mine at 76. Remember the lower the temperature, the more oxygen you will have. Third, they should have a variety of food. Pellets to flakes are the best. What I mean by that is you can feed them pellets, flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, insect larva, etc. Feeding them twice a day would be best. Fourth, they should also have room to swim from one side to the other. I highly recommend no artificial plants because they love being lazy, and they can rip fins while doing that. I would also highly recommend not to get a strong filter. The reason why it's not a good idea is that if they get too close to the filter pour out, then their fins could rip easily. I would highly recommend what Aquaphobia said which was add a sponge filter. They are perfect. Last, I will talk about keeping a sorority together with other fish (sororities should be kept in a group of at least seven females). I keep my sorority with black neon tetras, bristle nose pleco, cories, and ghost shrimp. Always remember when you have a sorority with other fish make sure they are pH and temperature compatible. You can have a male with some females, but I would make sure you know your stuff about beta’s and always have another tank or divider if something goes wrong. You can also have more than one male in a tank, but you should have a huge(when I mean huge I mean 250gals or larger) tank with lots of plants, watch if they flare at each other, female beta’s, other fish, etc. Keep in mind that having males with females will be a big responsibility if you do this. You will need a lot of jars (200+) for separating the males when they grow up to be bigger. If you don't separate the males when they are older you will see a lot of fighting and fins being ripped. If there is flaring, I would watch them and see if they continue that behavior. For introducing these betas to a tank, I would add them last if possible, so they don't find a spot first to claim.
    I hope if you had any problems with your sorority, this has helped :) If you have any questions, please let me know.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would not put two males together in anything less than a several hundred gallon pond. One of my rescue Bettas came to me after he'd been ripped apart by another male in a 90 gallon tank.

20 long is a good size for a sorority but I would aim for more than 4 girls. 6 or 7 is a good number to start with.

I am totally in favour of using live plants to interrupt lines of sight and provide hiding places.

As for filters, you can't go wrong with sponge filters!

About the temperature, while it's true that the higher it is the less gas it can hold, it's not only oxygen that could be in there. Also, except at temperature extremes, the oxygen should be adequate for your fish. Having a filter that disturbs the surface will ensure optimum gas exchange;)

Also remember that immune system function in fish is temperature-dependent!

3. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry for being so nit picky, I'm not trying to be rude at all. It's just that some of the topics could be expanded upon, or corrected a bit. Maybe dividing this up so it isn't a huge wall of text could help as well. This has great potential to help people with sororities, it could be improved a bit though.

4. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

Yes I know they should be in a huge tank. That's why I said "huge". I can put 250 gallons if that helps:). I also only said 4 because I know people will say get 6-7. I was going to do that, but I know people would start saying only 4 is minimum. Your very right about a sponge filter I will add that:)

5. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

How is this?

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Just a question

1. How long have you kept your sorority happy vs life expectancy?

7. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

1 month. Lucy asked me this as well, but I also told her that i had them a few years ago and they did great:). I stopped this hobby for a while then came back. That's why it says I only have 2 years of experience. I would put 8 years, but I don't count that. I had a sorority for 6 years and everything worked out perfectly. By the way why does your 10gal not have any nitrates?

8. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

"Huge" is relative. I frequently see tanks for sale here that are advertised as "huge" yet when I click on the ad for more information it turns out to be a 10 or 20 gallon tank. If I were you I would put 250 gallons as the minimum, just to discourage people who might think that 20 is enough;)

As for people saying how many females to start with, are you suggesting that people would say differently than you just to be obstinate? There's a reason for the minimum number, it's not just about someone's random, un-fact-based opinion. You need a minimum for the best chance of success. 4 might work if the females are all laid-back but that's unlikely so you need to "dilute" the aggression, as it were.

9. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

You didn't listen to anything I said. Males and females should not be kept together. I have no idea why you are recommending that. The fact that you said "having males with females will be a big responsibility if you do this. You will need a lot of jars (200+) for separating the males when they grow up to be bigger" you are pretty much encouraging irresponsible breeding. There is already a huge issue with people breeding for the fun of it, or trying to make money off of it. We don't need any accidental spawns to add to the betta problem. Keeping males with females also increases the chance of injury by a ton. Breeding often results in both the male and female being severely beat up.
    For keeping males together, which I don't recommend either, you would need a large, 10x10 foot pond minimum. I attempted this in my 250 gallon pond, with horrible results. This would need to be heavily planted and shallow.
    You said that you only have 2 years experience, I'm wondering how you had a sorority for 6 years then?

Not to be rude, but I don't think you truly understand what is necessary to keep a betta sorority, or that you should be recommending to people to keep males and females together, or males together. I suggest you do a little more research on the topic and re write your original post. Some of the information is wrong, and can lead people in the wrong direction.

10. OP
    OP
    Sarah73

I had a sorority 6 years ago. I had just stopped with fish for a while. I only put 2 years because that is when I started the hobby again.

11. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree with Flowingfins about the males and female if you are speaking of B. Splendens, now you can keep males and female together with other betta species like B. Imbellis, but they will probably spawn(insert almost same the problem, minus hundreds of jars). You can keep males together of the B. Imbellis as well, I believe the minimum tank size for two males is a 20g, but I could be wrong. This is an interesting read and would probably be helpful if I where to have a sorority.:)