Question How to keep a majorly overstocked tank alive.

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright,

2 pairs of angelfish spawned within a few days of each other. I only have a 55 gallon tanks ready for the fry. I have seen videos on youtube of majorly overstocked tanks before (hundreds fry in a 55 gallon) and here's were the questions comes into play.

questions:
1. How often do you do water changes and how much?
2. Do you use tons of prime to help balance?
3. In most of the videos iv seen they ONLY have like 1 large sponge filter, how doesn't the bacteria get overflowed?(to much junk in water)
4. If the water reads OK and this isn't tons of **** on the bottom of a bare tank should you still do a water change?
5. Is it mainly about the filter? (if i have 3 filters meant for a 125g each) so id have 375 gallons worth of filter in a 55 gallon tank, meaning i can have fish rated for 375g worth of water in a 55 gallon area?

Thanks for the help guys.

Here's a good video as a great example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNy53TCgZ5o

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fry tanks ideally need to have a water change daily regardless of stocking amount, so doing a 25-50% daily water change is not unusual. I wouldn't go crazy with the prime just because it's unnecessary and I've heard there can be issues stemming from overdosing.

The bottom line is to keep the water pristine with water changes as needed, you'll be able to tell based on your testing and just how the tank looks. Fry need to be fed much more often, and nearly always have wasted food leftover because of this, so daily vacuuming/water change is the way to go.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good Morning and Welcome to FishLore!
With Angelfish fry (or any fry really)water changes are of the utmost importance. When my angelfish fry go free swimming I usually move them to a 10g tank first for two reasons
1) ease of cleaning the bare bottom and ease of water changes
2)easier for fry to find food at feeding time, Takes less food also.

1) 50% water changes and bottom cleaning needs to be done everyday for at least a month. Because of their size(tiny) they need to be intensely fed. Food left in the tank can foul the tank quickly if not removed after feedings.

2) I use what prime I need to dechlorinate the water

3) bacteria grows on the walls of the tank as well and will grow to meet your needs. Doing as many water changes as you need to will keep the water parameters in line. Or you could run the sponge in an established tank so it will be ready when you need it.

4) Yes the water changes still need to be done. If they are being fed as they need to be and they are eating as they should be there will be stuff in the tank.

Then at about two week they move to a 20g and then to a 29g when the need arises. I keep their water temps at agout 80F since they feed and grow faster in warm temps.
The angels in that video look to be at least a month or more old so you have time to see if you need the 55g for fry.
Hope that helps
Carol

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carol, just out of curiousity, how do you keep the bottom of a fry tank clean? Do you just use a gravel vac? If so, do any of the fry get sucked up?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have an Eheim battery powered gravel vac that doesn't have a lot of suction power and doesn't remove water so you can vacuum as much as you need. I have a fry less than a week old and it didn't get sucked up. Even if one does, you can shut it off really quickly before the fry even gets near the intake.

You could also get some snails or a few shrimp to clean up.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom