How to Introduce Yoyos to Each Other?

Loachland

So, now that my 50 gallon is up and running, I'm getting ready to upgrade my Yoyos into it. Right now, I have two - one that I've had for years and one that's been in QT for about a week and a half. I want to introduce them to the 50 (it's 4" long) in whatever way's most likely to help them get along. They're about the same size, though the newer, slightly smaller one is much more rambunctious.

Is there a good way to introduce them without causing them to stress out and fight? I really just want to do whatever will keep both of them healthy.

Thanks!

Demeter

Introduce them by name and make them shake fins.

Toss them in the 50gal at the same time, they should be ok but time will tell.

Loachland

Thanks!

I'm going to, as you say, toss them in, and hope everybody gets on alright. I'll always have the QT as a backup in case they don't play nice.

A201

Make sure there is plenty of hardscape so the subordinate YoYo has plenty of retreats.
When situations allow, toss in two or three more YoYo's. Things will likely work out better that way.

Loachland

I’m definitely planning on getting more, they just rarely come by my LFS.

As for hardscape, I have a long line of driftwood logs that spans about 2/3 of the tank, plus a few rock chunks and several plants. They also each have a cholla tunnel in their own tanks that I’ll toss in for extra insurance.

FinalFins

Do you mind sharing pics? I always love tanks with logs in them

Loachland

Not at all, it’s messy bc diatoms (which I have to wait to go away on their own, since there’s a few hydra on the glass that I don’t want to help multiply), but you should be able to see through it. That being said, it’s blackwater and the light is down low in the picture, so it’s probably tough to see.

I don’t know if they really qualify as logs, that being said, I may have overhyped their size

Loachland

Good news! I added the two cholla tunnels and the loaches - I gave the older one a day to settle in first - and they seem to be getting along great. The newer one seems subordinate, and kind of follows the older one around and sits outside his hiding places, but they haven't fought or anything so far. The Pearl seems totally unbothered by both of them. I also released my java loaches into the tank - I may never see them again, lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom