How to identify internal bleeding Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by pepetj, Apr 7, 2010.

1. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

In my time of fishkeeping I have dealt my share of lost/won battles with injured/diseased fish.

For unknown reasons to date, one of my Glossolepis incisus males is suffering from internal bleeding. His hemorrhage seems to be due to a rupture in either the caudal vein or affluent vessels (a broken artery would have killed the fish in short time).

Two days ago this fish looked just like any other Red Salmon Rainbowfish. In the pictures you can see how pale the fish has turned and how dark the rear half of it looks due to the internal bleeding.

He has improved in the last few hours. He even went for food today. From time to time he displays equilibrium difficulties. I have no idea if he will make it through but in the mean time the mid-zone of the darkened are has cleared noticeably. Maybe the hemorrhage stopped.

No other fish looks like this.

I did experienced a similar look-alike "sudden death" condition in which my Red Salmon and Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish turned pale on the outside while displayed darkened areas underneath. That condition is not present here since only one area of the fish body is darkened. Notice how the darkened areas impact the adjacent fins as well.

The loss of coloration in the main body may be related to the bleeding or not.

I'm not using any treatment other than the usual UV-C sterilization that runs in this tank.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Attached Files:

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Wow....I am sorry to hear about this. Internal Bleeding is hard to combat with out operation. But there are a few things you can do. One, if any of the fish food you are using has garlic as an ingreadient stop using it asap. Garlic is a natural blood thinner which wouldnt help in this case. You want the blood to clot to stop the bleeding. I would suspect the paleing is from stress, or it could just be a side affect of it. Treatment should be clean heated water and stress coat. I would remove him from the tank and into a Q-Tank for better treatment. Watch him closly, if you see any signs of blood comming out of him treat the water with a low dosage of salt...just low enough to have it in the water and that be it. St. John's Wort has been used on humans to treat internal bleeding. In a low dose it could be ok to use with your fish. But the only issue is it has to be consumed. A calcium rich diet and vitimin C will help control the bleeding so if you can try to get something with calcium in it in fairly high levels. You can use calcium pills for humans but just a micro peice disolved in water every two days will work. But make sure its just a calcium pill. Thats all I know what to do for internal bleeding....IMO I dont know how to go about it but I hope I gave you a few options.

*Edit, my other post aside. I have researched this and a few people have treated this with Maracyn2. Which makes sence to me, but to its effectiveness I'm not sure. You can try it. I belive the disease is called Septicemia or Hemorrhagic Septicemia, to which most cases are reported in Great Lake fish....but there are cases in home aquariums. You might want to research it see what you come up with. Best of Luck!*

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    pepetj

Thanks for your reply. I am feeding them with Spirulina20 (from Aquatrol). I left him in the main tank since no other fish seems to stress him and I doubt this is bacterial infection. He went right after food when I fed this morning. He still displays equilibrium problems. In the pic you can see how the darkened area is receding. His body coloration is still quite pale (he looks like a female G incisus right now,but I know he's a male). Crossing my fingers that he will make it.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Attached Files:

4. Furallicah

Thats good, if the discoloration is going down then I could say that the bleeding has stopped. It might be a while before all his coloring comes back. Hopefuly he'll pull through this with wonder! Best of Wishes!!

5. OP
    OP
    pepetj

Today I have to make an effort to identify him. His swimming difficulties remitted and his usual coloration is back.

We pulled this one up. Thanks.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

6. Furallicah

Congrats! I'm happy he is feeling better. Take care!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice