How To Identify A Dragonscale Betta? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BetterBettaBuddy, Apr 13, 2018.

1. BetterBettaBuddy

BetterBettaBuddy New Member Member

20180413_132300.jpg 20180413_132320.jpg I have been given a very young betta, a veiltail, and he appears to have a diamond eye..does that mean he has the dragonscale genes, or is himself a dragonscale? No name yet, either any suggestions?

2. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

You could name him Philip

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

the dragon scale refers to the irridescent body pattern on the body. normally you will see the middle part of the bodie irredescent and the outside not. Your vieltail looks like he has some pinappleing in him which is the black etch to the scales. Another word of advice, betta splendens is the species with all the different morphs in them. Sometimes morphs are crossed and you can see multiple traits in them. I wouldn't call this betta a dragon scale because of the lack of scaling.

4. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I looked at the picture again and it appears you don't have a full vieltail either. looks like a mix between a delta and vieltail due to the roundness of the tail.

5. OP
    OP
    BetterBettaBuddy

Well I like him regardless for what he is and isn't but I think I will name him Ember.

6. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

Good name:)

7. OP
    OP
    BetterBettaBuddy

His pinappling isn't actually black though, its turquoise.

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Dragonscale is a more pronounced looking thicker scale (so you are going to be able to see each individual scale on the fish and some of the time it is outlined lightly in another color, most of the time black).
    You have a pretty delta male, his tail should grow out some more with care.

Edit: Pineapple is a dark outlined scale pattern, kind of like a pineapple that isn't quite ripe.

9. OP
    OP
    BetterBettaBuddy

and I think he may be a spade tail, veil tail crossed?

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Until his tail grows out you won't know, but he looks like a standard pet store betta, meaning he is either a veil tail or a delta, but veil tail is a dominant trait.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice