How to ID Gender of BN Plecos

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Wendigoblue, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

How do I ID the gender of baby BN plecos? Im thinking about picking some up, but would like to know if I'm getting a male or female. The fry are only about 1" long, so are they too young?

Thanks!

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You can identify BN plecos by their bristles. Male BN plecos have a lot of bristles. While females have just a little "mustache" or no bristles at all. At 1", that's too small to sex them. I think you can sex them at around 3" inches or so

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I can guess by 2. None of my females have any bristles, but i have heard of some that do. Males are also moreaggressive.

4. OP
    OP
    Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

My female albino BN has bristles like a mustache, but I was looking for a pair of starlight plecos (they're around 1"). I was wondering if there was another way to tell other than the bristles that can be determined at a younger age. Thanks!

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Until the fish matures a bit, I do not know of any other way to sex the Bristle Nose Plecos. I have a female that is 4 or 5 years old now and I bought her from one of our members here. I was hoping for a male, but I couldn't be happier to be honest. The female is so tiny and feisty. I love her! She has very few and short bristles and is about 4" at the most.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice