How to I transfer BB to new filter?

1. BYFishy Initiate Member

Hellos,

I am wondering how to change to a new filter.

The info:
    I have a 29 gallon tank with a Tetra Whisper 30 cycled.

I just got an Aquaclear Fluval 50 to increase my filtration and give more options than the Whisper.

Since the Whisper has these plastic comb things for the bio filter how am I supposed to 'transfer' my BB to the new filter? Or do I just have to wait and have both filters running for a couple weeks?

With both running its like a whirlpool and some of my fishies are hiding in the corner. (this is with the new Fluval set to lowest flow)

Thanks!

2. TJBender Well Known Member Member

What type of Whisper? If it's an internal, the black biofloss is just in a loose frame and can easily be pulled out and placed in the Fluval. Either way, the fabric on the BioBag filter can easily be pulled or cut off, then placed into the new filter. It's another good BB colonization site that can kickstart things for you.

Running both filters for a month is also a guaranteed win, but if it looks like the flow is making your fish uncomfortable, I'd either baffle the filters or forego that approach.

3. BYFishy Initiate Member

Whisper EX 30 Power filter HOB

Here is a picture of the Bio scrubber.

I could jam in the other filter (the one with the carbon inside it) but I was under the assumption it was mainly for mechanical/chemical filtration and not soo great for Bio.

Thanks!

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello, the best suggestion would be to cut your mechanical floss or sponge away from the plastic frame from your old filter, take care to keep it moist with tank water and place it over your new filter media in your new filter. Best of luck.

5. TJBender Well Known Member Member

What Riv said. Cutting the floss away is usually the best answer.

6. BYFishy Initiate Member

I'll try that! Thanks!