Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How To Humanly Put A Betta Down. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Bettafishgal, Apr 25, 2019.

1. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

I've failed my betta fish, He's got dropsy and I didnt notice it sooner now I have to put him down. How do I make this human for him to pass without being in pain.

Edit: I feel so selfish for Not treating him sooner, so please dont pity me and for all of you who are thank you so much for you kind words

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Dont be too upset it's part of the hobby we all live and learn plz don't beat yourself up for it! Things will get better

3. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

No It's all my fault it really is, I was going to do the treatment and he would still be alive. But I decided that i've been under so much stress that I deserve a break. He deserve's a much better life then I've ever gave him.

4. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

@Islandvic @Feohw need some words of wisdom guys <3 keep your head up buddy dont blame yourself it's really the stores who sell them dont give any information bout the fish or how to care for them properly

5. MichelleSNew MemberMember

I am sorry to hear this. I have had to put down many fish over the years and it is never easy. I have found using clove oil the easiest. You can find it at most natual stores. Move your betta into a small container with a small amount of aquarium water. In another container mix a couple drops with water and shake it until it goes creamy (emulsifies). Pour the mix in to the container with the betta. The fist batch sedates the fish, or at least that is what I have read. I find they usually resist at first, I found that rather upsetting the first time. Keep adding some mixed water an clove oil until you see no movement. Monitor for 5 - 10 minutes for movement. No movement means your friend has passed.

All of our fish who have passed that had names have been buried in our garden. We like to think they live in the flowers we plant over them. I am sure you will find a way to honour your friend.

6. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

Clove oil is also available at Wal-Mart. When checking for no movement, watch his gills. Even if he is just asleep his gills will still move. No gill movement for 10 minutes is a safe way to tell he's passed

7. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Are you absolutely sure it's dropsy? I'd hate for you to put down a fish if its just bloated or something. I've seen many people misdiagnose bloat with dropsy before - I'm sure you know whats up - just checking. Can you list off anything about its appearance or behaviour that's off and provide a picture. I had three female betta that had dropsy. After trying to treat the first till the end I decided to put the others down. I used clove oil as I was told that it was the most humane.I got a container of tank water, added three drops of clove oil and stirred. Then added the betta. After a few mins they went to sleep (though it was hard as they jumped about for a few seconds at the end). Then I had to add more clove oil, slowly until it passed on. Make sure its actually stopped breathing and is gone before you do anything with it after that. I was a bit paranoid for a bit, so I left them for a while after I was sure they had died. It's really tough to do, I'm sorry this is happening......

8. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

9. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

10. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

He's still swimming around every once and a while and his eye's are still active but he's lost so much of his color and keep's resting at any given location breathing very hard.

Can i try to feed him a small pea?

I know this sounds stupid but does this mean that he could possibly live..?

11. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I used clove oil recently on an angel it's the best way, mistakes you blame yourself for you won't make a second time, hopefully you'll get another and carry on

12. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ah..... it does look like it..... I'm sorry this is happening. Things like this do happen to many people in the hobby especially when they first start out. The good thing is that experiences like this can help you learn, so that any future fish you have will have a great life. Do some research into the care they need - tank size and such. It can be so rewarding once it goes right, it would be a shame for this to be the only way you experience this great hobby. Don't put too much blame on yourself either, we've all experienced something like this and learned from it. What happens next is always hard though...... keep your head up!

13. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

i'm getting some clove oil soon, Rest in peace Trundle.

14. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ah okay. I was about to reply before the edit, other methods aren't very pretty and many aren't great for the betta either. Clove oil is really the cleanest and imo the most humane option. Again I'm sorry this is happening, but its the best option for the betta in the end. Good luck and may he rest in piece.....

15. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

EDIT EDIT: Im going to try to trreat him before giving up on him....

16. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Update? Did he get better?

17. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

If you do use Clove Oil, please don’t use the method that has been suggested... adding a few drops, then a few more, until it has stopped breathing....

Clove Oil is an anaesthetic. Fish will pass unconscious and seem to stop breathing. 25drops per litre is the overdose required to kill a fish. Any less and it’s just unconscious and will wake up again later.

25 drops per litre. Mix it all in one go, then add it back in with the fish. Wait 20 mins, then dispose.

Any less and the fish will wake up in the bin. (10 drops per litre is the dosage used by vets as an anaesthetic).

18. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Hmm. That's good to know. When I did that, a few drops then more drops after those ones, the fish was left in the container, without any gill movement for pretty much a day. It was very much dead. Though I was paranoid which is why I left her there for a lengthy period of time. I suppose I had the equivalent of around or more than 25 drops per litre as the betta wasn't in a litre of water.

19. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

He died the next day.... It's been a long time, but he will still live on in my heart.

20. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Thank you so much, but this is a old forum. He passed that following night.