How to humanely euthanize without clove oil? Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mrs.Price, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I have a 6 inch comet and he's been battling what appears to be a swim bladder issue for weeks now, I've done fasting, shelled peas, AND antibiotics, nothing has worked. He's exhausted, and I believe suffering, he's been on his side on the bottom of the tank for over 6 days now, my pleco is now beginning to feed off of him, I believe it's time. I want to humanely euthanize him, I don't want him to feel pain... but I have no clove oil and no money to buy any, so please don't suggest that I go out and buy anything because this is not an option. Is there anything I may have in my house that will put him to sleep? Please help :(

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

Thank you :(

I've been doing a little bit of research, sense he's a cold water species I've put him in a small container with tank water and have placed him in the fridge... after it chills, I'll put the container in the freezer. After I'm sure he's either dead or asleep, I'm going to sever the back of his head to insure he's gone.

I'm seriously balling my eyes out, he was my centerpiece, a beautiful fish and I loved him :(

This is seriously one of the hardest things I've had to do as a pet owner, and I feel terrible. When I took him out I noticed that all of his slime coat was gone, the pleco had ravaged him... I just wish I could have mustered up the courage to do this sooner before he was pretty much eaten alive and I'm beating myself up about it...

... I could throw up *sobs*...

4. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your pain and loss. Your doing the best thing for your fish even though it's very hard and is painful for you to do, you should be proud of that x

5. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry for your loss you did your best for him and he had a happy life and his memory will continue on.

6. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

Thank you all for your support, means a lot to me... :;hug2

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

So hate to hear about your fish. I know it isn't easy. Chin up! :) You're doing the right thing.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

I know I'm doing the right thing... I just feel I did it too late and caused him unnecessary suffering :( and I feel terrible for it. I wasn't even thinking about the pleco, and I should have taken that into consideration. Poor Merlin :( I'm seriously so distraught I asked the Lord to forgive me... just... poor Merlin. If I could hug and apologize to a fish, I would. *epicsadface* :( :( :(

9. A

:;hug2

10. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I can totally understand holding off on it in hopes of a recovery so don't beat yourself up too bad about not having done it sooner. Whats important now is you're taking responsible action and resolving the situation.

Imo, even horrible situations like these are learning experiences and an integral part of the hobby.

Sorry for your loss and you tried everything I can think of for him. :console:

11. A

It will be okay, everybody goes through hard times and good times, it's how we know the good times are good, your fish is lucky you did your best for him, you should not feel bad at all about how you handled the situation, it is the true test of a compassionate and dedicated fish keeper and you pass with flying colors

12. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Don't beat yourself up. I can't bring myself to euthanize a fish, and watched some ugly fish deaths because of it. I feel for you and about all I can do is offer you a virtual hug.:;hug2

13. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

:;hug2

sorry for your loss. at least you tried to save him. better than just not doing anything and euthinizing him right off the bat. you should be proud of yourself for trying.

14. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of Merlin.

Euthanasia is one of the hardest parts of being a caring pet owner. I know I've ALWAYS worried that I've either waited too long, or jumped the gun any time any of my pets has gotten too ill to survive.

I believe you did everything you possibly could for Merlin and I'm positive that he had a better life with you than anyone else would have given him.

15. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I would think that the act of severing the head after he's dead would just add to your pain. If he's frozen, he's gone. Don't subject yourself to that.

16. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

I would just put him in a cup of very cold water and put him in freezer, it only takes seconds and he will be gone. No need to sever head! I could not do that and it will only make you feel worse. Sorry about your fish. I know its very hard.

17. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, after its been in the freezer that that.

18. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

with a death of a fish comes the fun of getting another one :D

19. OP
    OP
    Mrs.Price

I just kept thinking about our small fish pond in our backyard garden, the first winter we had it we thought all of the fish would die, and it appeared that they had, the pond was frozen solid, but come spring time there were fish swimming around in the pond! It was mind boggling really. So that's why I thought the severing might be a good idea... but I will trust you and take everyone's word that he won't thaw and come back to life.

20. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

While the top of the pond froze, the fish were far from it- that's why it's important to make the pond deep enough. There's no coming back from frozen in a block of ice, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice