How To Humanely And Painlessly Cull Fry.

leannajayde

Ive recently had an explosion of Guppy fry and while I set up a new tank to separate my adult female guppies from my adult male guppies I still have to raise the fry I have now and the fry that will probably be born from stored sperm.
Unfortunately one of my adult females has a bent tail that continues to get worse per birth, I have no idea if its genetic so I have no idea if her fry, or the healthy females frys will be born with birth defects as well.
Before you suggest it, no, I cannot purposely feed babies to the adults.
14 of my fry are in a nursery tank(the only reason I separated them is because they were born in my bare, 5 gallon qt tank that I'm in the process of medicating) and there are several newborns still in the community tank.
If the fry in the community tank can't outswI'm the adults until they're bigger that's one thing, but putting a fry in there with the intention of it getting eaten is another. I had to do that one time before and I instantly felt sick. I'm not condemning people that do it this way, I just don't have the stomach for it.
I need a way to cull fry only when its absolutely medically necessary. I need it to be as humane, quick and painless as possible.
Thanks in advance guy's, this is a hard topic for me but I think its more cruel to raise fry into a miserable, painful adult hood.

Niki Rose

I would imagine the clove oil method used for adult fish would also work for fry

Tigginjenn

I had to puit an Oscar "to sleep" years ago. I did vodka and clove oil. They just go to sleep. It's still hurts the heart, but....

leannajayde

it makes me want to cry just thinking about it. But if I ever see my fry start to be in pain I need to be able to help it, and sometimes the only way to help something that's suffering is to ends it suffering.
I'm sober so there's never any vodka in the house but clove oil by itself would be fine?
Just a few drops or how much?

Tigginjenn

What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish?
Has everything you need to know. Sorry you have to do this.

leannajayde

What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish?
Has everything you need to know. Sorry you have to do this.
Thank you! And hopefully I won't have to! I hope all my babies grow up healthy, strong and beautiful. They all seem pretty perfect, happy and healthy right now!

Lunnietic

Sometimes other people are looking for fry to feed their fish. I personally have my other half kill whatever needs to be killed. I don't have the heart to be the fish killer in my house.

r5n8xaw00

As animal lovers, life can bring some really sad and hard choices to make. I just recently contemplated bringing some of my fish back to the LFS, nothing wrong with them, it was just issues I was facing at the time. In the end I couldn't even do that. I ended up keeping them and try to make it work.

Ulu

It takes more than a kind heart to keep animals. You have to respect nature and nature doesn't have a heart.

I would advise you to sell off the Guppies and get some fish that will not breed in captivity.

This will relieve you of an obligation which you do not have the capacity to fulfill.

leannajayde

It takes more than a kind heart to keep animals. You have to respect nature and nature doesn't have a heart.

I would advise you to sell off the Guppies and get some fish that will not breed in captivity.

This will relieve you of an obligation which you do not have the capacity to fulfill.
I love my guppies.
I said I didn't want to have to but if you reread I clearly stated that a:I'm separating my guppies so they WON'T breed and even though I am prepared for batches from stored sperm
And B: I don't want to HAVE to cull but do have the capacity to do it if needed.
Thanks.

Sometimes other people are looking for fry to feed their fish. I personally have my other half kill whatever needs to be killed. I don't have the heart to be the fish killer in my house.
Its a hard thing for sure!

As animal lovers, life can bring some really sad and hard choices to make. I just recently contemplated bringing some of my fish back to the LFS, nothing wrong with them, it was just issues I was facing at the time. In the end I couldn't even do that. I ended up keeping them and try to make it work.
I hope everything is working out for you and your water kids okay now!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TankGirl86
Replies
Views
Roomcat
Replies
Views
Matt B
Replies
Views