How To Have Crystal Clear Aquarium?

BroitSerg

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 fish in it. I know the aquarium is cycling so the water will have a slight fogginess to it but nothing unbearable. My question is there any way to always have a crystal clear aquarium. I know constant maintenance is a nessecitiy but other then 25% water changes and monthly tank scrubs. What else can I do. All suggestions welcome thank you!!!
20180510_212826.jpg

jfs4

Valued Member
Reaction score
BroitSerg said:
Hey, so I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 fish in it. I know the aquarium is cycling so the water will have a slight fogginess to it but nothing unbearable. My question is there any way to always have a crystal clear aquarium. I know constant maintenance is a nessecitiy but other then 25% water changes and monthly tank scrubs. What else can I do. All suggestions welcome thank you!!!View attachment 437536
Hi there,
I began the hobby by killing four fish. I didn't know anything about the cycle. I then got advice from the forum and bought one guppy to produce my ammonia and then used seachem prime and stability daily until the tank cycled. I avoided water changes because it was removing the growing beneficial bacteria. I used stability to add the beneficial bacteria and I depended on prime to dextoify the ammonia and later, the nitrite. I assume with as many fish as you have, you are going to have to do daily water changes so that the ammonia doesn't spike to much, which will make it a longer process for your cycle to complete. If it is possible, you might give yourself a better go of it if you can return or remove a few of the fish. My cycle took about 3 or 4 weeks with my one guppy.
After a while, the cloudiness should clear up on its own.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to FishLore!
As you know, it's very common for tanks to be cloudy while they're cycling, and IME it's usually best to just leave it alone other than water changes. It should clear up when the tank is cycled. It might help to up your water change size and frequency.

BroitSerg

Reaction score
jfs4 said:
Hi there,
I began the hobby by killing four fish. I didn't know anything about the cycle. I then got advice from the forum and bought one guppy to produce my ammonia and then used seachem prime and stability daily until the tank cycled. I avoided water changes because it was removing the growing beneficial bacteria. I used stability to add the beneficial bacteria and I depended on prime to dextoify the ammonia and later, the nitrite. I assume with as many fish as you have, you are going to have to do daily water changes so that the ammonia doesn't spike to much, which will make it a longer process for your cycle to complete. If it is possible, you might give yourself a better go of it if you can return or remove a few of the fish. My cycle took about 3 or 4 weeks with my one guppy.
After a while, the cloudiness should clear up on its own.
Yeah I bought the test kit for ammonia and it was at 1.0 so I bought some jungle ammonia clear so hopefully that's helping. I realize now that I have a lot more fish then I should but I'm gonna try to get it to work or I'm gonna get a small tank to seperate the fish till the 10 gallon adjusts itself.

IceFyre1414 said:
Welcome to FishLore!
As you know, it's very common for tanks to be cloudy while they're cycling, and IME it's usually best to just leave it alone other than water changes. It should clear up when the tank is cycled. It might help to up your water change size and frequency.
So the goal for maintnance is once a week 25% water changes and one a month I want to take everything out and scrub it down. What's your opinion is that to little or to much?

dwarfpufferlover said:
Hello,
You can add filter floss to your HOB (Your hang on the back) to filter out particles for cleaner water. Comes in many different brands and prices.

and welcome to fishlore.
I've never heard of filter floss before I'll check it out. Thanks

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
BroitSerg said:
So the goal for maintnance is once a week 25% water changes and one a month I want to take everything out and scrub it down. What's your opinion is that to little or to much?
Since your tank is heavily stocked and currently cycling, I'd do 50-75% changes once a week or 25% twice a week. The complete scrub down isn't something that I do with my tanks, but it probably helps.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when your cycle is done use activated carbon to in your HOB to get crystal clear water. I'm showing a picture of an 8 foot tank, the fish in the back that you are looking at are 7 to 8 feet away. You don't need carbon to keep your tank alive, but if you want really clear water activated carbon is the way to go.

DSCN5018.JPG

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fissh said:
when your cycle is done use activated carbon to in your HOB to get crystal clear water. I'm showing a picture of an 8 foot tank, the fish in the back that you are looking at are 7 to 8 feet away. You don't need carbon to keep your tank alive, but if you want really clear water activated carbon is the way to go.

View attachment 437610
I don't use carbon but yeah if you want crystal water use carbon. Also just make sure NOT to overstock your tank (op).

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BroitSerg said:
You shouldn't ever remove and scrub everything in the tank. You don't want to remove all the bacteria that you have worked so hard to grow in there. Most of the good bacteria lives on your filter media but some also lives on every surface in the tank. An aquarium is the one thing in ones home that is best left a bit dirty. It doesn't have to look dirty and since bacteria is invisible without a high powered microscope you won't see it but it needs to be there.

If that black thing I see in the upper left corner of your tank is your filter I am not sure it is big enough for a 10 gallon tank. The filter is the heart of your tank. It needs to be big enough and needs to turn over enough water to keep your tank clean.

With a big enough filter you will be able to add extra media to help polish the water once the cycle is complete. I am assuming that the slight cloudyness of your tank at this point is nothing more than a bacterial bloom and will clear up once cycled but only if you have a filter large enough with enough media in it to take care of it.

BroitSerg

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
You shouldn't ever remove and scrub everything in the tank. You don't want to remove all the bacteria that you have worked so hard to grow in there. Most of the good bacteria lives on your filter media but some also lives on every surface in the tank. An aquarium is the one thing in ones home that is best left a bit dirty. It doesn't have to look dirty and since bacteria is invisible without a high powered microscope you won't see it but it needs to be there.

If that black thing I see in the upper left corner of your tank is your filter I am not sure it is big enough for a 10 gallon tank. The filter is the heart of your tank. It needs to be big enough and needs to turn over enough water to keep your tank clean.

With a big enough filter you will be able to add extra media to help polish the water once the cycle is complete. I am assuming that the slight cloudyness of your tank at this point is nothing more than a bacterial bloom and will clear up once cycled but only if you have a filter large enough with enough media in it to take care of it.
Thank you I have been contemplating on a bigger filter. I heard doubling the filter size of the tank it the best bet. Can you recommend a good brand for filters.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BroitSerg said:
Thank you I have been contemplating on a bigger filter. I heard doubling the filter size of the tank it the best bet. Can you recommend a good brand for filters.
You are very welcome. There are lots of decent filters on the market so it would be hard for me to recommend one. Personally I have several HOB filters that I have had for many years. Several of them are various sized Aqua-Tech and I have one Penn-Plax Cascade 300 that I have been using about 20 years. I've never had a minutes trouble from any of them other than replacing the impeller a time or two.

I will say though. I bought a new aqua-tech 40/60 last year and ending up sending it back when it failed after less than a month. I am thinking they are not made as well now as they used to be.

BroitSerg

Reaction score
Sarah73 said:
Like this? Well I have two sponge filters and a 10 gallon filter. Plus this hospital tank is around 3 years old soView attachment 437595
Edit: I see you have a bn pleco which should be in a 20 gallon and tiger barbs which should also be in a 20 gallon. Your tank is over stocked which isn't helping the cycle.
Yeah I am rehoming the pleco forsure I didn't realize that the plecos got so big till I was already home. This tank is my starter tank I plan on getting a bigger tank in the future but I wanted to see if I enjoyed the hobby first before I spent 100's of dollars. I want to perfect my 10 gallon tank with clear water first.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BroitSerg said:
Yeah I am rehoming the pleco forsure I didn't realize that the plecos got so big till I was already home. This tank is my starter tank I plan on getting a bigger tank in the future but I wanted to see if I enjoyed the hobby first before I spent 100's of dollars. I want to perfect my 10 gallon tank with clear water first.
A 10 gallon tank is much harder to keep stable than say a 40 gallon. The bigger (to a point) the easier it is to maintain.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom