How to hatch NeriteSnail Eggs?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by JoelTRG, Jul 16, 2015.

1. J

JoelTRG Valued Member Member

Ok so recently I have made a post on another one of the subforums and they told me I might have more luck over here...

So here's my first question:
    How do I make the water in my second five gallon tank brackish so that the eggs can hatch?

Secondly: When the eggs hatch how should I care for the baby nerite snails?

Thirdly: Judging by how many eggs I have on the piece of wood I would move would people buy them because I would have a bit too many? That is if they all live.

[​IMG]
    The eggs ^^^

Thanks,
    Joel

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Joel, hope you don't mind, we have changed your title to better reflect the information you are seeking.

3. OP
    OP
    J

It's fine thanks actually lol,
    Joel

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have any fish in the 5g with the nerites?

5. OP
    OP
    J

Yes, a betta but I have another five gallon tank I could move the eggs into which I assume would be necessary. That is, assuming that betas have a low tolerance to salinity.

Thanks,
    Joel

6. Anders247

Yeah, I would move the eggs to their own tank, without a betta, which wouldn't like salinity.
    You'll need to bring the salinity up to 1.010 with marine salt, not aquarium salt.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Ok, do you have any tips on making the water brackish because I have never done a brackish tank in the past.
    Thanks,
    Joel

8. Anders247

You ninja'd my edit, look back at that post.

9. OP
    OP
    J

Lol ok thanks. Will there be directions with the salt on the box on how much salt to add and how to do it.

Thanks,
    Joel

10. Anders247

There should be instructions on the box. As far as taking care of the babies, I assume, but am not sure, that it is like any other snail baby, just like the adults.

11. OP
    OP
    J

Ok thanks for thanks for the help I will be able to pick the salt up on Friday.
    -Joel

12. Anders247

No problem!

13. OP
    OP
    J

Ok so I have another question... The instructions on the box were for full saltwater but I just want to know brackish .. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Joel

14. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

15. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

People should buy them, they are great algae eaters the only downside is they leave the eggs. Just as long as you sell them a little bit cheaper than your LFS then they should sell. Worst case scenario if they don't sell your LFS might take them off of your hands.

16. OP
    OP
    J

Ok thanks

17. OP
    OP
    J

The salinity is now at the right level and the eggs have not hatched yet. Do you happen to know how long it takes for them to hatch?
    Thanks,
    Joel

18. Anders247

No, sorry. How are they doing now?

19. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I hope some of them hatch for you.

20. OP
    OP
    J

None of the seem to have hatched yet but the salinity seems a little lower so I'll fix that this afternoon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice