How to hang lights (no permanent fixing)

AcuarioAmazonico

I’m looking at getting some floodlights on the new tank as opposed to aquarium lighting. The set ups I’ve seen look great so thought I’d try it out. TClare has been great in assisting me in figuring out how many lumens etc. I need.

Now to the hanging. I am renting a house so I can’t fix anything brackets to the wall - so am looking at some sort of freestanding stand or bracket to fix the lights to. I’ve a picture in my mind about a stand almost like a standing lamp that bends out at a 90° angle over the tank but lord knows where to acquire something like that.

what sort of solutions have people here come up with? Is there a tripod or stand I could buy and hack? Or do I need to find someone who actually gets DIY to make it for me? I’d probably paint it white. Would it affix to the cabinet or sit on floor?

if there are any handy people on here I’d love some suggestions.

thank you kindly,

aa

AcuarioAmazonico

You could try a Kessel Gooseneck

Kessil A-Series Gooseneck

They make a few different types that clamp onto the side of the aquarium

thanks

im looking at led floodlights as a cost effective option - am moving house when have bought a new bed, couch, dining table and fish tank!!! The creditcard is starting to smoke!

Unfortunately mostKessil lights here won’t leave you much change from $1,000 so just isn’t an option at this stage.

With a 6 foot tank - I’m hoping to keep the whole lighting cost under $200

Upvote 0

pagoda

My LED lights are held onto the aquarium with a super efficient, ultra clever and unbelievably cheap method.....cable ties, black ones in the black framed/hooded aquariums and clear ones in the white framed hooded aquariums....I did have to get a little creative on where to attach them but they are working fine and light up the aquariums perfectly well

If you are good at DIY, you could always try and make a bracket for the lights yourself, maybe something similar to those extending light fixtures that balance onto the frame

Something like this perhaps, the actual carrier bracket without the lights... https://www.nicrew.com/products/nic...ht-nano-clamp-light-for-planted-tanks-6-watt/

Upvote 0

TClare

The thing is this is a very large tank and the lights are fairly heavy. I think it would be best to get a wooden (or steel) bracket made, perhaps it could be fixed to the cabinet at both ends, or it could be free standing over the cabinet and tank. So there would be a narrow bar running over the length of the tank, the handles of the lights could then be bolted to this so that you can still change the angle of the lights as necessary. I hope this makes sense?
Another possibility, depending on the room and setup, would be to attach a bracket to the wall or hang one from the ceiling, but this might not be possible if the property is rented. Probably best to get someone handy to have a look and make suggestion, it should not cost too much.

Upvote 0

AcuarioAmazonico

Many tanks guy
My DIY skills are limited to putting together a flat pack bookshelf which tilts to the side

As this is a large tank and I want the lights to be quite high over the aquarium I think the wooden free standing is really my only option. I may hit up some diy savvy folk online and get some quotes

Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

TClare

Many tanks guy
My DIY skills are limited to putting together a flat pack bookshelf which tilts to the side

As this is a large tank and I want the lights to be quite high over the aquarium I think the wooden free standing is really my only option. I may hit up some diy savvy folk online and get some quotes

Wish me luck!
Good luck, let us know how. It goes!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Silister Trench
  • Question
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies