How to grow java fern?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So i got sent a couple months ago a "java fern" acctually just a bundle of leaves. Im not annoyed because it was free anyway. The leaves haven't grown however they have been producing lots of baby plants which i am gappy about, only problem is how do i grow them? I picked off the first couple too early which was my mistake but now i have like 4 that are close to needing taken off. I have seen some posts of people saying they never managed to grow their baby plants, or they stayed stunted. Anyone here have any experience or tips on how it can be done? I want to make a java feen jungle in the corner of my tank so hopefully this means i can. Thank you! :)

BabsandLoon

Reaction score
I just pulled off the baby plants once their roots were 3 - 4 inches long and glued to them to a piece of driftwood. That was a 3 - 4 months ago and I have noticed that they have grown a bit...they are not huge but their growth was enough for me to notice.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I had Java Fern, it grew in thick clumps. When the baby plants broke from the leaves & became floaters, I simply pushed them back deep inside the parent's lush growth.
A small percentage of the baby JF's grew inside the tangled leaves of the parent plant & when the roots became long enough I attached them to rocks & driftwood.

New Threads