How to grow betta fins back?

epischel
Hello Everyone!

I have a betta fish whos fins have been split and rotted for a few months now. I got him about 3 or 4 months ago and I put him in a 3 gallon tank with a filter (but no water heater.) About 3 weeks afterward, his fins started clamping and splitting. It progressed to to a lot of splitting and rotting. He was eating well and swimming well and otherwise looked completely healthy. I have treated him with different series of aquarium salt and melafix and bettafix. I test the water regularly with test strips and the water levels are always good or normal. Now, I have him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and heated at 78 degrees.

I believe I stopped the progression of the fin rot a couple months ago. But the fins just aren't growing back. They have looked the same for over two months now.

Any ideas or advise?

Is it possible to grow his fins back to a nice full shape?

Salem
So long as good husbandry is provided the fins should grow back. Sometimes it can take a really long time and they don't always reach the original length or maintain the original shape. As unappealing as this looks it can actually be arguably a better outcome considering how much long full fins can negatively affect them.

Aquarium salt baths can help promote healing but I wouldn't add it directly to the tank. This is because whatever you put in will not come back out unless you physically remove it with the water. For example if I put 1 table spoon into a 2.5 gallon tank and then do a 50% water change there will still be 1/2 a table spoon worth of salt in there. It's just a hassle to keep track of and overdosing on salt cause seriously hurt your little friend. There are many tutorials online you can follow to do a salt bath.

For future reference though strips tend not to be quite as accurate as liquid tests and it can be a lot easier to help solve problems when exact numbers are provided.

Latest threads

Top Bottom