How to grow aquatic bulbs from petco

1. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

I bought some of those bulbs from petco. there is 2 onions, 1 water lilly and 3 aponogeteton bulbs.

instead of planting in the substrate. can i put them in a large bowl of fish water and leave them sort of by a window? i don't want to bury them and halve them rot. and i don't have room in the 10 gal.

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You grow them like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use ferts in my tank, though. Flourish Root Tabs, and Flourish Comp.

3. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

did you just set them on top of the substrate?

4. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

i use root tabs and flourish comp also. could i put them in a net?

5. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

i haven't put them in the tank yet. i just don't want to put them in the substrate and them rot.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

They're gunna rot if they're gunna rot. You just need to check them every day. If it floats more than a day, take it out. You can't make them grow if they don't want to. However, you can mail them back to the company, and they'll replace them.

I suppose you could put them in a net, but why not just let them do what they were made to do? Its not like putting them in a net is going to keep them from rotting :p

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. ZiggyZ Member Member

What I do is I set the bulbs on the gravel after they sink (Which you have to make sure they sink because if they don't after 2 days, they are not going to work) and wait for them to sprout roots and/or leaves. Once they do, I bury them in the gravel (Bury them there the leaves are gonna point up).

9. Henri Well Known Member Member

I LOVE YOUR RAVENCLAW TOWEL!! (they might be socks, kinda hard to tell from the pic)

10. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Do the bulbs actually work? I've heard that they don't work very well, but if they do work I might get a pack.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its a scarf =D Its folded to be about 1 1/2 long, if that tells you how happy my lily is LOL

What, pictures aren't proof enough? :p

12. Henri Well Known Member Member

13. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I've seen bad reviews. I might try them sometime, after I get root tabs for my swords.

Random: In tech today the solder iron I was using fell apart and I didn't know part of it was hot, to I picked it up to move it. Now I have 4 parallel lines on my finger...looks kind of funny. It doesn't hurt or anything, I just hope it doesn't leave a permanent mark.

14. Elodea Well Known Member Member

Well they're incredibly cheap so why not take the risk and try them?

I just drop them in the tank and forget about them.

15. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Haha. I'll probably pick up a pack next time I go to Petco and stick them in the small tank. I would love another onion plant or two, they'd give the tank a really cool feel.

16. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I put on in my betta tank once and the next day my betta was dead. I've never touched them again. What did I do wrong?

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This probably sounds crazy, but I find the Walmart and Petsmart ones to work better. Lol

18. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Woah. Maybe I'll start the bulbs in a seperate tank thingy- I have a 10 liter one with about 5 platy fry and 4 baby snails. I can move the fry. If the snails die, oh well, I'll know it's not safe. They might have had some sort of chemicals on them, Wendy Lubianetsky. I wonder if they're fresher at Petsmart and walmart, Akari. I don't think my walmart has them, but I can pick up a peck next time I go to Petsmart.

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I dunno. I think WalMart and PetSmart get theirs from the same supplier. I can't say for sure though, as I don't currently have a pack from them.

20. Ryan1824 Member Member

Whether or not they grow depends on how long they've been setting on the shelf. If they are too old they dry out and won't grow. But I've mailed the duds before in and the replacement bulbs always grow so there's really no risk involved.