How To Grow Algae?

Kader

Reaction score
I am trying to grow algae in 2L salt water jar for the purpose of feeding amano shrimp larvae.
I tried to scrape some algae from my fresh water tank to seed and have kept the light on 24hrs for a month now but without success.
Is it that fresh water algae cannot thrive in salt water? What should I use instead to achieve a health algae growth?

IMG_0432.JPG

Photo: you can barely see the little white larvae

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Leave the lights on, or add lots of food(that will kill the larvae though)

OP
Kader

Kader

Reaction score
I have mentioned that I have the lights on 24 hours for a month now. I do give little sprinkle of spirulina to keep them alive. but I would like to grow algae instead. Any thoughts?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kader said:
I have mentioned that I have the lights on 24 hours for a month now. I do give little sprinkle of spirulina to keep them alive. but I would like to grow algae instead. Any thoughts?
Add some used tank water

OP
Kader

Kader

Reaction score
I only have fresh water tanks. Can't add fresh water to salt water or it will screw with salinity and larvae are very sensitive... and I tried to use the algae from fresh water tank
to seed the salt water, but doesn't seem to grow...

OP
Kader

Kader

Reaction score
From the replies it seems like my only choice is to find a salt water shop and try to get some salt water Algae from them ...
It's funny because in my fresh water aquariums it is always hard to stop the algae from growing... You guys are lucky that algae doesn't want to grow in salt water

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh believe me, algae will grow in saltwater. You do need to have some level of nutrients. Freshwater algae cannot live in saltwater, but salty green hair algae will grow like wildfire with some phosphates in the water. We get bubble algae, bryopsis, many varieties of hair algae and more. Sounds like you have a pretty clean/sterile jar there to have so much light and no algae growth.

You could try getting a small piece of live rock with algae on it but beware of pests. I have no idea what a bristle worm or an aiptasia anemone might do to your babies, but I wouldn't imagine good things.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
use water from your saltwater tank and leave the jar in the sun till it goes green or brown depending on what type of aelge u want to grow its easy

OP
Kader

Kader

Reaction score
Is this Algae? or something else like fungus or spirulina?
I have some of this at the bottom of the jar now. The larvae are growing!I have taken a little to the new breeding jar. Hope it is algae.
You are right Stella1979, it is a very clean/sterile jar as it is RO water + red sea salt only.

algae.jpg

Attachments

mach6

Reaction score
Amano shrimp larvae can sustain some salinity swings IME. How close is your light and what kind of light? I use 3x1W LED bulbs, you can find on ebay. I use tap water to mix saltwater and diatoms grow eventually. You need intense light.

If you need something to seed it, try going to a LFS to see if they can give you some water from their tank.

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
stella1979 said:
Oh believe me, algae will grow in saltwater. You do need to have some level of nutrients. Freshwater algae cannot live in saltwater, but salty green hair algae will grow like wildfire with some phosphates in the water. We get bubble algae, bryopsis, many varieties of hair algae and more. Sounds like you have a pretty clean/sterile jar there to have so much light and no algae growth.

You could try getting a small piece of live rock with algae on it but beware of pests. I have no idea what a bristle worm or an aiptasia anemone might do to your babies, but I wouldn't imagine good things.
Agreed. Algae needs no help growing in saltwater. You could find a cheap light bulb and algae would grow within a couple of weeks.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jesterrace said:
Agreed. Algae needs no help growing in saltwater. You could find a cheap light bulb and algae would grow within a couple of weeks.
I disagree to a small extent. Cant remember the video but a person used clean water with 24/7 lights in bottles and tank water in the same conditions. Also used ferts in all but the control bottles. The clean water showed no growth after a few weeks while the used water showed a ton of algae after only a few days.

New Threads