How To Grow Algae On Walls Of Tank?

1. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Hello, really dumb question. I need the algae to feed my plecos because the pesky goldfish steal all their food. I will also be giving them different types of vegetables as I know that they cannot eat just algae and you have to feed them. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

just leave your lights on for 12 hours a day it will start to grow rapidly. Direct sunlight works too. Or you could try stuffing his food under something so they cant get it.

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Turn on the light and leave it on for a long time. Like as soon as you wake up to as soon as you go to bed. I did that at the beginning and got tons of algae, unintentionally of course :D

4. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

If you are having trouble with goldfish stealing all the food, but in sinking pellets at nights with the lights off, that should give the pleco a better chance of getting food.

5. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Lol I’ve been turning the lights on as soon as I wake up and turn it off when I go to bed. I haven’t seen any signs of algae but it will eventually grow I think. I’ve tried putting their food in the pleco cave but my oranda fry keeps pulling it out. She always acts hungry even though she is the most fat. I’ll have to maybe separate the tank at night. Thank you for your fast responses. :)

I’ve tried that but when I turn the lights back on to see if the goldfish are actually sleeping they aren’t and they have already eaten all the food. They poke around a lot at night and pick up the gravel even though the lights are off. It’s really strange.

6. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

two words:

Open Window
    I left mine open and WOW that wasnt fun.

7. McGoo

McGoo Valued Member Member

Let your nitrates get up higher and leave your lights on like your doing.... that should help grow algea..