How to gravel vac with fish in tank?

mandy7

Hi everyone! After finally cycling my very first tank, i purchased a beautiful betta, Gillmore (picture included because i love to show him off lol). He is in a 10 gallon tank with a snail and a shrimp (hoping to get another snail/shrimp this week!)
My question is: is it less stressful for him if I gravel vac with him in the tank, or if i remove him? I see a lot of people do it with the fish still in the tank, however I am worried that since it is a relatively small tank, it will stress him out or he won’t be able to avoid it.
Any advice is appreciated :) Thank you!

Attachments

• AB8A40D5-8922-4A36-A6C4-EB7438D56EFC.jpeg
    AB8A40D5-8922-4A36-A6C4-EB7438D56EFC.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 23

PlantedCommunityTank132

first of all, that’s a beautiful betta you got there. In my opinion it’s a lot less stress for the betta if you leave him in the tank. Does the tank have hiding spaces?

mandy7

first of all, that’s a beautiful betta you got there. In my opinion it’s a lot less stress for the betta if you leave him in the tank. Does the tank have hiding spaces?
Thank you!! Yes it has a couple hiding places. No real plants (yet!) but plenty of soft, fake plants and a little tunnel for him. He doesn’t seem to like to hide much though.
Thank you!! Yes it has a couple hiding places. No real plants (yet!) but plenty of soft, fake plants and a little tunnel for him. He doesn’t seem to like to hide much though.
Should I leave the decorations in the tank while I gravel vac?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Should I leave the decorations in the tank while I gravel vac?
it's normal that he doesn't hide when he has enough hiding spaces. I would leave in the tank since he can hide from the gravel val when you're doing a water change. What you could do is, gravel vac, remove one decoration, clean the gravel around it, put in back, remove the next decoration and do the same thing. that way, he always has enough hiding spaces, and you can clean your tank with ease.

mandy7

it's normal that he doesn't hide when he has enough hiding spaces. I would leave in the tank since he can hide from the gravel val when you're doing a water change. What you could do is, gravel vac, remove one decoration, clean the gravel around it, put in back, remove the next decoration and do the same thing. that way, he always has enough hiding spaces, and you can clean your tank with ease.
okay thank you so much! i will definitely try that tomorrow! wish me luck lol !

PlantedCommunityTank132

okay thank you so much! i will definitely try that tomorrow! wish me luck lol !
no worries

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
Kim007
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies