How to go about a filter change?

1. samantha.h Member Member

So, unfortunately things aren't going well with my community tank. I'll be getting rid of my gourami shortly. I'm going to change to a goldfish tank, and I need a bigger filter.

So, my question is, how do I go about changing the filter? Should I get the new filter, put the cartridge in the tank as it is and wait a little bit for the bacteria to colonize on the new cartridge? Or should I set up the new filter in the tank and put the old cartridge in the tank as if it were like a wannabe sponge filter and wait for it to colonize that way? I'm also keeping some of the old gravel to help colonize as well.

:;dk WDYT?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello MMM. If at all possible, see if you can place the old filter media in the new filter some how. If not then just place it in your tank some where. Leave it in there for at least 2 weeks, even longer would be better. The added, seeded gravel will help also.
    Ken

3. samantha.h Member Member

It might fit. I'll have to find out. They're the same brand and set-up, just a different size. I'm upgrading from a 20G filter to a 55G filter so I can keep a couple goldies.

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

IMO a 20 gallon is too small for even fancy goldies (although many will disagree with me). I've seen a black moor the size of a softball that made a 20 gallon look tiny.

What's going on with your community that is making you want to switch?

5. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

What I have done is to squeeze the old filter media into the new filter (after it has run a couple of days....and then run the 2 filters together for a week or 2 while the new one is colonizing.

6. samantha.h Member Member

Well by the time they're that big I'm planning on having a bigger tank. I wouldn't keep two softball-sized goldfish in a 20 gallon ever.

But the community isn't doing very well because my gourami has nipped away at a couple of my tetras. He's actually killed a couple from nipping them. So I'm hopefully taking him to my LPS today. The last couple of tetras are pretty injured and I think they may have some kind of fungal infection or something going on with their gills. I have no idea if they're gonna make it or not, but I'm trying my best. I wish I would have noticed the nipping sooner, the gourami would've been gone a while ago. He's really feisty.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If they reach that size- it's easy for fish to become stunted when kept in a tank that is too small.

That stinks about your gourami. They can be pretty fiesty. :p

8. samantha.h Member Member

I mean, it would take at least a couple years for them to start outgrowing a 20 gallon if there's only 2 of them, wouldn't it? I doubt they be anywhere near being stunted if they were only in there for a year or two.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss Kermit. But I think it's for the best. He had such a personality. lol.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello mmm. I think they would both do well in your 20g for a while with good filtration and regular water changes, and as long as you buy them small. An upgrade in tank size would surely be best down the road. I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Ken

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member