How to give a bath or dip ?

1. R

Ritesh Mishra New Member Member

how give them bath /dip after diagnosing a disease ?

I dont know the exact procedure like shall i give bath with new water everytime?
    Shall I quarantine after each bath or put them back to the main tank?

2. j

jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Not sure what disease you trying to cure but baths usually don't resolve the issue but may help temporialy with some symptoms. With ich it takes 10-14 days to cure the tank [not just the fish] and the ich have different forms [the spots on the fish you see, the eggs in the gravel and the free swimming stage which you don't see] that can't be killed by one method. The dip can also be stressful to the fish and they can be hard to catch.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Ritesh Mishra New Member Member

U answered everything except my query

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

To make a bath, you put dechlorinated water that matches the tank's parameters in a separate container. Add whatever meds/salt you need and however much you need. Put fish in container for specified amount of time. Remove back to QT tank (or main tank if you don't have a QT tank). Dispose of bath - make a new one for each dip if it's more than an hour or so apart.

If it's a sick fish, I'd keep in in a QT tank during its sickness anyway, rather than leaving it in the main tank. So take it out for baths and return it to QT tank after.

5. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Rit...

My research says this is the best way to treat a fish disease, if you determine this is the problem. Use two cups of water from your tank and put it into a small container. Mix a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt into the container of tank water. Net the infected fish and lower it into the water. Keep your hand over the net, so the fish doesn't jump out. If the fish shows stress, remove it and mix in some more of your tank water. You can leave the fish in the solution for roughly two minutes as long as the fish isn't stressed. You can repeat this a couple of times daily. Instead, I think you could simply start a more aggressive water change routine, by changing half or more of the tank water every week. Water changes are the answer to most, if not all tank problems.

Old