How To Get Trout Minnows To Not Eat Other Things

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Murderface the fish :P, Aug 5, 2017.

1. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

So I caught like 6 trout minnows and put them in my 30 gallon, they get along with my other fish perfectly fine, they just spend their time having the time of their lives in the filter to distract them, but I decided to catch some Gammarus Lacustris's in my tank aswell, but they literally tore them into pieces and it's so strange to see them do that because they've never attacked anything before. I've had the fish for almost 2 weeks now and I just found that a bit strange. They have bit my finger before probably mistaking it for my bloodworms because it's kinda the same shape I guess you could say but other than that they never have acted out. I really want those Gammarus's so they can eat the stuff at bottom but I can't if they're like this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I know nothing of that type of minnow, but scuds are natural food for many fish in the wild. If they're going to stand any chance, you'll need sand, rocks, leaf litter, and a whole lot of plants at the bottom.

They're attacking them because they see them as food. In fact, there are fishing lures based on scuds.

3. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

You find it strange that wild animals are eating what they eat in the wild?

4. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

You should just feed less and clean more often if you're having issues with debris. That or get a different type of fish that won't get attacked. I wouldn't recommend shrimp

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice