How To Get Tank Temperature Down?

1. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

Hello, my goldfish tank is at 79 degrees with no heater in as it is summer. How can I lower the temp? My thoughts were putting in some declorinated ice cubes in. Lol.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The ice cube idea will actually work!
    Lots of people use it to cool the tank down or breed fish like cories.

You could run a fan over the aquarium.

3. Zenarium

Zenarium New Member Member

Same issue here! Last night, my 10 gal mystery snail tank was up to 81.1! I threw on a ceiling fan and cranked the air conditioner but was also thinking about an ice cube or two.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You could try putting in a frozen water bottles, that will help cool it longer than ice cubes.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

And you don’t have to dechlorinate the water either.

6. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I don't really think you need to? I have goldfish in tub ponds at my parents house, our summers in Australia get as hot as 45 Celsius! (113 F)! The ponds feel like warm bath water if you stick your arm in, and the fish still do perfectly fine -I was worried about it initially but goldfish seem to do well in any temperatures, that's why they do so well in ponds despite the varying day/night seasonal temperature extremes.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

Yeah, I haven’t really put some cubes in yet because the Goldie’s are fine. The only bad thing is that they are poop machines. I got a snail for the tank and the pet store surprised me with a guppy when I got home. I think she accidentally scooped him in there..... the temp was fine for both so I left him, although I heard that they are social. Idk. Guppies and goldfish seem odd, even though the temp in the tank is accurate for both of them.

8. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly, both my "tropical" and goldfish tanks get warmer than that. I'm talking low to high 80. But since I finally installed my air conditioner, it stays about 80 F.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

Good to know. Should I return the guppy I accidentally got with a Nerite snail, or should I get him a friend? It would be in the goldfish tank at around 76-80, but it may not be that great for them...

10. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Not a good idea to have that high of temp for goldfish. 68-72 is perfect. 76 is too high. Your goldfish will die quicker as there body grows quicker and they poop more.

11. JenniferB

JenniferB Valued Member Member

When I need to cool my tanks I pull out a clip on fan. Just clip to the edge of the tank with the hood opened up and direct the fan across the water.

12. allllien

I have some in tub ponds over at my parents house, the goldies have long outgrown the small unfiltered tubs they're in, but are still very happy, even when temps get to 113! They've been there about 10+ years and still going strong, so I don't think even extreme heat can kill them if it's gradual (eg normal weather changes), there would have to be other factors if they're dying in higher temps. Obviously, if you suddenly threw one into a warm tank or pond, it would probably die, but the water temp they're in changes so gradually just with the weather. There's always a big difference in day and night temperature ranges too in the case of pond fish. In an indoor tank, it's a lot more gradual so should never be an issue.

13. allllien

It depends what type of 'guppy' it actually is.. If it's a non-colored one, it's probably a mosquito fish (often found in goldfish tanks in pet stores). They're actually wild pest fish, and can interbreed with guppies too I believe. Those are cold water, so you can keep it with the goldfish no problem if you want, but they poop A LOT for something so tiny lol. You probably don't want any more of these as they make such a mess and can sometimes nip at other fishes fins..
    If it's a normal colored tropical guppy, it depends if it was bred in cold water or just ended up in the goldfish/snail tank by accident (it could've even been stuck in the net between purchases, so could've come from an entirely different tank). They don't do well in cold water, although sometimes younger ones can be adapted to cold water in some cases. If it seems to be doing ok though and isn't swaying side to side, it's probably ok to leave :)

14. OP
    OP
    Fishaholic58

It was a tropical guppy and I believe that it’s male. It’s summer so my tank is at 76-78, and I’ve kinda grown attached to him so I’m gonna keep him.

15. Betta10522

Betta10522 Valued Member Member

You can use a chiller or aquarium fan. I've never tried this but maybe you can just put an ice cube in to cool the tank