How To Get Rid Of Snail Eggs On Java Fern?

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a baby betta in a tank w a small java fern and some bladder snails i have laid eggs on them but i don’t want more snails how to i remove the eggs from the plant without disturbing it or anything in the tank? the baby betta has been in there for 2 days and so has the java fern and i would like to leave it in place since they are ill adapting

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Physically removing them is your best bet. A turkey baster might do the trick.
i’ve tried scraping them off but they don’t budge

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you have bladder snails the way to remove the eggs is never let anything rot, don't allow any food to hit the substrate, vacuum throughly and frequently and be sure that there's no algae. Then start removing the snails manually, cut out any eggs you see on plants. Then you can keep on for months and hope eventually you get them all, or give up and either learn to love them or buy some assassins and hope they breed into enough assassins to annihilate the bladder snails then give the Assassins to your local fish spot or friends and research ways to make plants snail free without before adding them to your tank next time. Or use chemicals that have copper and will render your tank invert unsafe forever.

RYRYTHEGUY said:
Won't the betta eat the snails
mine does
I have one that eats them when they are very small too! But my other betta is the friendliest ever and doesn't eat anything but his own tail when I forget to keep him entertained or he doesn't like the current entertainment routine anymore.

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfsamm said:
If you have bladder snails the way to remove the eggs is never let anything rot, don't allow any food to hit the substrate, vacuum throughly and frequently and be sure that there's no algae. Then start removing the snails manually, cut out any eggs you see on plants. Then you can keep on for months and hope eventually you get them all, or give up and either learn to love them or buy some assassins and hope they breed into enough assassins to annihilate the bladder snails then give the Assassins to your local fish spot or friends and research ways to make plants snail free without before adding them to your tank next time. Or use chemicals that have copper and will render your tank invert unsafe forever.

I have one that eats them when they are very small too! But my other betta is the friendliest ever and doesn't eat anything but his own tail when I forget to keep him entertained or he doesn't like the current entertainment routine anymore.
it’s a 2.5 gal i doubt they would really be able to overrun the tank because i would be able to see them all. i wanted some in there to keep it clean i don’t mind the ones i have i just wanted to know how to take the eggs off the plants but my betta will probably eat them. i didn’t know bettas would eat snails but he eats everything in sight and pokes at the adult snails a lot. nothing has hatched yet the eggs are just over my java fern and won’t scrape off. i’m pretty sure it’s my ramshorn doing all the laying. he’ll hang out in one spot for a long time and then a couple hours later i’ll see some eggs where he was.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you remove the plants and physically rub them off under the tap the he Java fern should be fine. You would have to do this all the time. Snails easily over populate when there's any available food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom