How To Get Rid Of Slime Mold

Phish111

Help. It has completely taken over my tank. I have deep sand substrate on the sides of my tank, driftwood, plants, and rocks. It is on EVERYTHING. From what I gather it is no harm to my fish and snails??

Anyone have firsthand experience with this? Its driving me insane. I took all my driftwood out TWO days ago and took a brush to each piece and bam, it's already back.

I'll add a few pics shortly. Tia

A few pics
20190822_004425.jpg
20190822_004444.jpg
20190822_004646.jpg

Marijn Lange

Hmm, I've never experienced this kind of algae in one of my tanks. Scrubbing it off isn't the solution. Something is causing the algae to keep coming back. Perhaps you're feeding too much? Or your light is on too much? Could you tell us your water perimeters?

OP
Phish111

Phish111

Marijn Lange said:
Hmm, I've never experienced this kind of algae in one of my tanks. Scrubbing it off isn't the solution. Something is causing the algae to keep coming back. Perhaps you're feeding too much? Or your light is on too much? Could you tell us your water perimeters?
I have been leaving my light on longer and am planning on cutting my feeding back also to try that. Will test my parameters after dinner. Ty!

Debbie1986

Well Known
I switched using my plant lights for when I'm home , so just 4-6 hours verses 12 hours, and it really cut back on algae.

Using algae remover liquid treatment did nothing. It was the light ( got it amazon specifically for tank plants) & I'm now going to only 1 feeding a day verses 2.

OP
Phish111

Phish111

Marijn Lange said:
Could you tell us your water perimeters?
pH 7.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
Gh 75
Kh 80

I've done a cpl of WC's this week so my Nitrates are in check. I've done some heavy gravel vac-ing of my substrate in a cpl different areas. Which ammonia sometimes does read .25 on the ApI master kit, so I'm not too concerned ab that.

I have one piece of driftwood that is directly under the current of my AC70 that seems to get fuzzy on the bottom of it from time to time. Thinking ab removing it and baking at 200?

I'm just afraid of cleaning too thoroughly and killing off BB and throwing my tank into a mini-cycle or crashing it all together.

New Threads