Help How To Get Rid Of Cloudiness Faster From Sand

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So yesterday I finally put my sand in the tank, and while it looks decent, it still isn’t nearly as clear as I’d like it to be. I used the bio magnet clarifier that the bag came with, but it hasn’t seem to help tremendously. Any methods for clearing it faster, or should I just expect to wait a couple days/weeks before it’s clear? Also when will I be able to turn my filter on again? Thanks in advance!
Image1554663224.735461.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would put some poly-fill in the filter and turn it on. You may have to replace it several times before the water clears but it is cheap so going through several handfuls of it won't break the bank. It is very good for helping to polish the water.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I would put some poly-fill in the filter and turn it on. You may have to replace it several times before the water clears but it is cheap so going through several handfuls of it won't break the bank. It is very good for helping to polish the water.
Perfect, thank you so much! I’ll definitely try that, I’m sure I’ll find some.

Like this kind of poly-fil?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caroline J said:
Perfect, thank you so much! I’ll definitely try that, I’m sure I’ll find some.

Like this kind of poly-fil?
For some reason that link timed out on me but Yep, I figure that's the stuff I bought and hated the super soft stuff so went back and got a bag of the normal stuff . I use it all the time in my HOB filters. Since I don't depend on it for my bio-media I just replace it each week.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
For some reason that link timed out on me but Yep, I figure that's the stuff I bought and hated the super soft stuff so went back and got a bag of the normal stuff . I use it all the time in my HOB filters. Since I don't depend on it for my bio-media I just replace it each week.
Oh whoops, but thank you so much! oh and thank you for telling me about how often to replace it, I’ll keep that in mind. I really appreciate your help!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caroline J said:
Oh whoops, but thank you so much! oh and thank you for telling me about how often to replace it, I’ll keep that in mind. I really appreciate your help!
You are so very welcome You may need to either rinse or replace it more often since you are using it to help clear your water. It may fill up fairly quick.

If you continue to use it once the water clears, weekly will probably be often enough. It really depends on how messy your fish are. I am pretty heavily stocked and have a Pleco in there too so mine gets pretty bad each week.

I still rinse it out before throwing it away though. It makes for some very nutritious water for my house plants.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
You are so very welcome You may need to either rinse or replace it more often since you are using it to help clear your water. It may fill up fairly quick.

If you continue to use it once the water clears, weekly will probably be often enough. It really depends on how messy your fish are. I am pretty heavily stocked and have a Pleco in there too so mine gets pretty bad each week.

I still rinse it out before throwing it away though. It makes for some very nutritious water for my house plants.
Thanks you so much! And yess that’s an amazing idea for the houseplants! I have a few so I’ll definitely try and put the used ones to use.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caroline J said:
Thanks you so much! And yess that’s an amazing idea for the houseplants! I have a few so I’ll definitely try and put the used ones to use.
It is amazing how healthy my house plants are now that they get water from my tanks. The richest bucket is the one I rinse the poly-fill in but the rest of it works well too. My Pothos (ivy) is partial to the water I pull out of my 2.5 gallon snail jar so it save it for that plant. The cuttings I have in that jar showed me how much it likes the snail waste.

I end up with about 30 gallons of water each week. Sadly I have to pour some of it down the drain during the winter months but now that Spring is here what I don't need for house plants gets carried outside for all the outside plants.

If you have gravel in your tank your plants will love the water you get when you deep siphon it. It is even richer than just water dipped out of the tank. It sure has Miracle Grow beat by a mile.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
It is amazing how healthy my house plants are now that they get water from my tanks. The richest bucket is the one I rinse the poly-fill in but the rest of it works well too. My Pothos (ivy) is partial to the water I pull out of my 2.5 gallon snail jar so it save it for that plant. The cuttings I have in that jar showed me how much it likes the snail waste.

I end up with about 30 gallons of water each week. Sadly I have to pour some of it down the drain during the winter months but now that Spring is here what I don't need for house plants gets carried outside for all the outside plants.

If you have gravel in your tank your plants will love the water you get when you deep siphon it. It is even richer than just water dipped out of the tank. It sure has Miracle Grow beat by a mile.
Wow!! That’s incredible, thank you so much for the advice. And I did use to have gravel and I’d actually use it to water some of the plants growing outside, but I never thought to use it for the houseplants. I have sand now but I’ll definitely keep that in mind for the polyfil!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom