How To Get Rid Of Brown Algae On My Plants?

Rack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 2 month old 15 gallon, with only an amazon swords and some bacopa caroliniana, the brown algae is only attacking my bacopa, I also have some green algae growing on the sides of the tank but they're easily scratched off, however I'm finding it a bit hard to get rid of the brown algae without destroying the leaves of the plants. I read somewhere on an article that I need to actually INCREASE my lighting to get rid of the brown algae. All I have is a simple 6500k 20W Cfl bulb only 1.5 inch above water surface.
I guess I'm in the low light range. How can I avoid them in the future?

Rack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My amazon swords are flourishing with no algae on them at all, whereas my bacopas are hardly growing at all and are infested with brown algae. If I cut off some of the leaves will they grow back?

ChrisX

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Brown algae is actually Diatoms, and they eat silicates in the water. You need to remove silicates.

Usually these clear up in first few months, but if they dont, you may have silicates in your tap water. Buy a product called Phosguard and use for a week. It soaks up the silicates. It also removes Phosphorus that your plants need, so dont use it constantly.

Aqua Hero

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rack said:
I have a 2 month old 15 gallon, with only an amazon swords and some bacopa caroliniana, the brown algae is only attacking my bacopa, I also have some green algae growing on the sides of the tank but they're easily scratched off, however I'm finding it a bit hard to get rid of the brown algae without destroying the leaves of the plants. I read somewhere on an article that I need to actually INCREASE my lighting to get rid of the brown algae. All I have is a simple 6500k 20W Cfl bulb only 1.5 inch above water surface.
I guess I'm in the low light range. How can I avoid them in the future?
yeah its like chris said, they are just intaking silicates. they will pass away in due time. i currently have it around my mini xmas moss but thats because its a new tank.

now unless you are using injected co2, high dosage of ferts and have demanding plants like dwarf baby tears i woud advise you do n0t increase your lighting as it will make things worse

Rack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ChrisX said:
Brown algae is actually Diatoms, and they eat silicates in the water. You need to remove silicates.

Usually these clear up in first few months, but if they dont, you may have silicates in your tap water. Buy a product called Phosguard and use for a week. It soaks up the silicates. It also removes Phosphorus that your plants need, so dont use it constantly.
If they go on their own then where does the silicates come from? And how can I test my tap water if it contains silicates?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom